Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Enjoy 16GB of high-speed data for $25/mo.
R

• 

10 Messages

Sun, Aug 2, 2020 12:05 AM

Using a prepaid phone to facilitate changing 20-yr-old cell phone number

ATTN AT&T Customer Service staff or other knowledgeable community member:

My family and I have been w/ AT&T Wireless since 2002 when we moved from Louisiana to Alabama. We returned to Louisiana 9 years ago, and I've been content to keep using the 205 area code number from Alabama...until now. I'll soon be starting a new career where having a local-area-code number would be advantageous. Changing the number is easy enough; my husband switched his number from a 205 to a 504 number years ago. But I'm not so sure how well it would work for me.

Unlike with a land line, cell phones don't have a way to inform callers to the old number that "...this number has been changed. The new number is..."  I've got WAY too many contacts to notify each and every one of them as soon as I get a new number, so I'm thinking of buying an AT&T no-contract pre-paid plan and using it with my old iphone 4S that I bought from AT&T back in the day.

That way, I could start informing people and businesses of my new phone number--which would ring on the 4s--but still not miss any calls to my current number and phone (iphone 7, also purchased thru AT&T).  And I also wouldn't be under pressure to notify every person/every business right away: I could take my time and make the changes as time permits and at my leisure.

Then, after a month or two when I've finally updated every website, bank, store, friend, relative, etc., I'd go back to AT&T store and have the 504 number on the 4S ported over to my 7--which will still be on our family Plan--and close out the pre-paid account.  It sounds easy enough (to me, that is! haha), but could that actually work? Please advise. Thanks in advance. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.8K Messages

2 y مضت

I will suggest a different solution. Port your old number to google voice and open a new line for your new number. With google voice, you can have both your old and new number on the one phone. No need to mess with prepaid or pay for an additional line. Google voice will charge you to port the number but otherwise it’s free.

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.3K Messages

2 y مضت

Prepaid requires you to call to change the number

• 

10 Messages

2 y مضت

Wow! What a super idea! I wouldn’t have thought of that in a million years. Thank you SO much!!! 😊

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.8K Messages

2 y مضت

You could also just get your new number on google voice, provided they can provide one in the area code you desire. I don’t believe that costs anything. You should be able to port it later or maybe you like google voice and just leave it there.

• 

10 Messages

2 y مضت

So I could get a GV number without assigning it to any existing phone number at all? Hmm...come to think of it,  I have used my laptop to retrieve and forward voicemail messages left at the GV number my department set up when we all started working from home due to COVID-19. (since we wouldn’t be at the office to answer our desk phones) I just need to confirm that if I use my existing AT&T cell number to obtain the GV number, it WON’T dissociate the AT&T number from the AT&T family plan account or otherwise affect our AT&T family plan account in any way. I don’t need the GV number to *ring* on my cell phone right now, so I guess I’m asking whether I can simply *use* the AT&T number to get the GV number, period, but NOT use the AT&T phone or account to make or receive calls with the GV number until after I notify everyone of the change and am finally ready to actually port the GV number to the AT&T family plan account? (Sorry for writing such a long sentence)

ACE - Sage

• 

100.2K Messages

2 y مضت

BTW, your old iPhone 4s is a 3g only phone and can no Longer be activated on AT&T. 

I would recommend you read up on how a Google Voice number works. It works like having 2 lines on one phone. 

If you port your existing AT&T number to Google Voice it WILL remove and cancel your AT&T phone Number off your AT&T account. 

Since that is a concern, your best option is to purchase a local number off of a site like 'numberbarn'  or hope GV has a local number you can use free. 

My free GV number is local to my state, but not town.  I wasn't actually able to find a better number. 

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

2 y مضت

Got it. Yep, that’s what  I was afraid of would be the outcome: cancelling my att number from from our account before I was ready for it to be cancelled/switched in favor of the GV number. This is hugely helpful info, as I wasn’t able to find the answer to that precise question, despite spending close to 45 min at the GV site reading up on all things GV-related.  I appreciate your taking time to weigh in on the issue. I’ll look into those other options you mentioned. And BTW, thanks for the heads-up about the 4S. Also very helpful. :-)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.