Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

rochrunner

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

Thu, Jan 23, 2020 9:12 PM

Trouble porting back to AT&T

So here's the sequence of events:

1) Ported my number out to a T-mobile account, decided I didn't like what I got

2) Initiated a port back to AT&T with my original number online so I could get the $300 plan.

3) At signup, AT&T had me enter my phone number, account number (t-mobile), and PIN.

4) The site indicated the number could be ported, so I entered my credit card info, etc.

5) AT&T sent the new SIM card to me by overnight FedEx.

6) Today I inserted the card, then went to the AT&T prepaid site to activate it and ended up on a page where I entered my SIM ID, IMEI, and zip code.

7) I was recognized and got a page showing my ported-in number and saying that my SIM card was active and required no further activation.

8) When I took the link to "Manage Account", I was unable to log in using my number since a message appears at the top about the account being "disconnected" and to contact customer service. I assume this is because I used this number previously and the account was terminated when I ported out.

At this point, the phone is totally non-functional and I'm not sure exactly what to do next. Unfortunately, my house is in a rather weak signal area so I'm not sure if the almost total lack of bars is just due to the signal or if something else is preventing things from working.

My inclination is to go out to a stronger signal area and call cust service (800-901-9878?) using my wife's phone to get it straightened out. Any other ideas?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

alj96zz

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

3 months ago

you need to call the number they included with your shipment to complete the activation if you’re porting in a number.

rochrunner

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

You're right, thanks. I immediately got through to a rep who knew exactly what she was doing and in a few minutes all was up and running. But they really could have made this clearer in the instructions, since none of the printed directions really addressed this issue and the number to call was not obvious at a glance. Also the original online experience made it seem like this was all going to be automatic; instead I had to give her all the same porting info that I'd previously entered into an online form.

But at least I'm good for a year (or actually 360 days, which is another peeve of mine about a "monthly" plan where all the months have 30 days...).

• 

4 Messages

@rochrunner Hi!

Sorry for bothering you. That’s my question how to port my number safe to ATT. If I get you right. You first purchase the 300$ online plan and then get a description how to port and keep the number? I was at a store and the wasn’t interested to help me with that since it is an online promotion, but I am still a future customer!?! Thank you! V.

rochrunner

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

When you make the purchase, they ask you about porting and at that time you enter your existing number plus the account number and PIN for your current carrier. When I got my card, the SIM appeared to be set up with my ported phone number, but nothing worked. I called the number in the instruction sheet -- (Phone number hidden) -- and got someone who asked me for all the porting info again and did the porting while I waited a couple minutes. Then, even though I had entered my credit card info online, she offered to put the transaction through immediately and took my info again, at which time my phone quickly started getting AT&T text messages and I had data access, etc.

(edited)

rochrunner

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

To add to the above, at the time of online purchase, they actually only charge you for the SIM card -- $7.95 or so -- and the $300 is not charged until your plan is activated, but having the cust service rep put the charge through while I was talking to her made it all happen right away so that the service was immediately active. By the way, sales tax and 911 surcharges are added to the $300 if applicable.

• 

4 Messages

Thank you so much for the explanation.

Yes, it seems they are making it not that easy to switch. I just had really big troubles with porting my number ending nearly to loose my number. One Sprint member was able to restore my number but the sprint signal is a catastrophe and so I have to switch now again. T-mobile was better with the coverage than Sprint. Are you happy with the ATT signal and coverage, or the service at all. I noticed you went back so I assume it must be good. I am not that familiar. Moved to US from Germany. Thank you again.

rochrunner

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

Yes, I was previously with this same service for many years and it has always been adequate. The signal in my house is not good, but by enabling Wifi Calling that is no longer an issue. One big issue with T-mobile is that they have very sparse coverage in Alaska, and we will be on a driving trip there this summer. AT&T appears to have our route pretty well covered.

• 

4 Messages

thank you again.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…