Trouble porting back to AT&T
So here's the sequence of events:
1) Ported my number out to a T-mobile account, decided I didn't like what I got
2) Initiated a port back to AT&T with my original number online so I could get the $300 plan.
3) At signup, AT&T had me enter my phone number, account number (t-mobile), and PIN.
4) The site indicated the number could be ported, so I entered my credit card info, etc.
5) AT&T sent the new SIM card to me by overnight FedEx.
6) Today I inserted the card, then went to the AT&T prepaid site to activate it and ended up on a page where I entered my SIM ID, IMEI, and zip code.
7) I was recognized and got a page showing my ported-in number and saying that my SIM card was active and required no further activation.
8) When I took the link to "Manage Account", I was unable to log in using my number since a message appears at the top about the account being "disconnected" and to contact customer service. I assume this is because I used this number previously and the account was terminated when I ported out.
At this point, the phone is totally non-functional and I'm not sure exactly what to do next. Unfortunately, my house is in a rather weak signal area so I'm not sure if the almost total lack of bars is just due to the signal or if something else is preventing things from working.
My inclination is to go out to a stronger signal area and call cust service (800-901-9878?) using my wife's phone to get it straightened out. Any other ideas?