Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
gander123

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Sat, May 23, 2020 4:34 PM

texts double billed

I'm on the 10 cent a minute prepaid plan which charges 20 cents for a text. When I send a text, I'm charged 20 cents but when I receive a text back. I'm charged twice for it.....40 cents for a regular text. I've called a few times and have gotten refunds but it keeps happening and if it's only for one text, it isn't worth the time or effort to refund 20 cents. This happens with every text I receive.....why?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

a month ago

It may depend on what carrier the text is from, and how long it is. AT&T considers at SMS to be 160 characters and spaces long. And text longer than 160 is charged as 2 (in or out)
Sprint (for example) cuts off SMS at 140. If someone with Sprint service sends you a text that exceeds 140 it may appear as one text on your device but Sprint counts it as 2, and so might AT&T, even though it re-assembles as one on your phone.
Pictures or emoji in text would count as MMS, and might be a different rate. I don't recall if there was any added charge for MMS on that old plan.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
gander123

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

@lizdance40 Wish that were the case but the last two texts were 92 characters and 2 characters (the word ok). Had two separate charges of 20 cents each for each text.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

39K Messages

It’s probably an intentional billing “bug” designed to get users off that old plan. I bet the same thing doesn’t happen on the 25 cent plan.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question