Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
ConfusedOne2's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, June 2nd, 2019 1:33 PM

Refill balance and expiration

I have an AT&T prepaid phone with a small balance good until 12/24 of this year. I am currently trying out another phone/plan to see if it will be better (it has unlimited talk). I still want to keep my prepaid phone active just in case I want to go back to it. If I refill a small amount on my prepaid, will it change the balance expiration date? Example: if I put, say, 25 dollars on it, will the expiration change from 12/24 to a closer date?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

The balance will remain untouched as long as it is not used to pay for service or renew a monthly plan. Presuming you have one of the pay per use plans, your balance is only charged when you use your phone. It will not be cancelled for inactivity. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

That is an excellent question and one I have wondered myself. It is very possible that refilling will change your expiration date to match the refill. Unless you need to refill to pay for service, why risk it? As long as your current balance is good until 12/24, no need to refill until then or until it is used.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I forgot to ask.....if I don't use the prepaid phone, will the balance remain, or will the service be shut off for non-use?

Thank you again for your help, very much appreciated.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. You have eased my mind (what's left of it, anyway!)

I was also wondering, late as usual, if I don't use the prepaid phone, will it be canceled for inactivity before the money expires?

Thank you again for your help.

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

If you have a December 25 expiration date on the account balance, do you have until the 25th to add funds or must payment be made on the 24th or earlier?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.