Enjoy 16GB of high-speed data for $25/mo.
S

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Apr 21, 2022 3:22 AM

prepaid account cancellation because of no 5G signal

Hi there,

I have a prepaid AT&T account with balance remained (~$40). However, recently I kept receiving the urgent notice from AT&T regarding that my account will be cancelled if I do not upgrade to a 5G phone.

I don't want to buy a 5G phone, but if AT&T is going to cancel my service, should't I be able to have my remained balance back?

Although I am fully aware of that prepaid balance is not refundable, now the situation is AT&T want to cancel my service even I am willing to continue to use. It just sounds unfair to me not able to have the remained balance back.

Please advice how to have the balance back consdidering AT&T is not able to provide service to me.

Thanks!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2分前

You do not need to upgrade to a 5G phone but you do need to get a supported phone. The reason you get that message is the phone you are using is 3G for calls. It can not make or receive calls once the 3G network shutdown is complete, so it has to be removed from the network. As for a refund, as you know prepaid does not refund but perhaps in your case they will if they do cancel your service. Unfortunately, you won’t get a refund here. If they don’t refund you when they cancel service, file an FCC complaint. Or you could get a supported phone and not get cancelled.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.3K Messages

2分前

I’m not quite sure why AT&T keeps blowing its 5G horn, because that’s not the message they sent.  Whatever phone you are using is dropping to 3G for phone calls and must be replaced so that you can make calls over the LTE network. Either go and purchase an AT&T branded phone, or an unlocked phone that is capable of voice calls over the LTE network

Best Buy would have a good selection of unlocked phones that indicate they will function with AT&T’s LTE voice network

• 

3 Messages

2分前

Thanks for the all the reply. I finally made up my mind giving up the remained balance and transfer to Visible. Considering the promotion they offered for buying a new phone when transferred from existed phone number which is really attractive.

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.