Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
P

• 

3 Messages

Monday, December 30th, 2019 4:39 PM

Phone removed from multi-line plan. How do I make sure that it is no longer charged to my credit card?

I removed a phone from my multiline prepaid plan since the phone and the sim card were destroyed by my 13 year old son being an irresponsible teenager. How do I stop any further charges? I'm thinking that it is still linked to the credit card that my multi-line plan uses. I have tried searching the web and help site with no luck.

Please help!

Regards,

Peter

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

No, that line is no longer linked to the multi-line owner or the card used to pay for the multi-line plan. That line now reverts to whatever is set up for that line. If that line is not set up for autopay, it will automatically expire and cancel on its own.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

Thanks for the reply. So here is some more info...

The phone in question was on the same credit card account as the multiline account, even before it was added to the multi-line account. I removed it from the multi-line account and the website mentioned that it would become a single line account on autopay. I am assuming that I will now get an autopay charge on the multi-line account and also this single line account. As I mentioned earlier, the phone is completely dead, the sim card completely dead and I have no way of working on it via the website because of that. I am in enough trouble with my wife over getting our son a new phone, so that if I can't stop this extra autopay charge, I AM DOOOOOMED !!!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

If the line is still being paid for, the sim card is not dead. Try putting it into another phone so that you can receive the text needed to reset the password. Once you can log into the account, just turn autopay off.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

I am sorry for the tone of my earlier responses and I should have been more specific on how the phone was destroyed. My wacky teenage son threw his old crapping out iPhone 5s into our fireplace (with a fire burning) in a fit of rage. As I mentioned earlier, I was able to remove the phone/line from our multiline plan. Then I tried to log onto that phone/line through the ATT Prepaid website and was unable to since I forgot the password and of course was unable to reset it as the phone in question was destroyed.

It is now 18 days since then and no charges have showed up the linked credit card nor any other credit cards I own. Is it possible that the reason no credit card charges appeared is due to the phone and sim card being physically destroyed and also that phone could not be contacted by the ATT system?

Again, I am sorry for being upset and thank you for your responses. As it stands now, I have made sure that I have synchronized the ATT Prepaid passwords for all 4 phones on my plan and have documented them in my password book.

Regards,

Peter

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

No. Destroying the phone and burning the SIM card do not terminate service.

To terminate prepaid service you either stop paying/turn off auto pay, or port the number to another carrier.
If you did not receive a charge when you expected to, I will assume that auto-pay was turned off.

By the way Kudos on the parenting. I hope it works out before he is inflicted on the rest of society. I wish you luck. Sometime it is such a thankless job

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.