Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
T

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jul 13, 2020 2:42 PM

Keeping my phone number active

Hello, I am an international student and I had to leave the US on March 18th due to COVID-19. I will be attending the fall semester online and I will not be in the US till probably January 2021 at the earliest. I turned off my autopay and am wondering what I need to do to keep my number till January? I can't make any phone calls or text with my US number since I'm not in the US. Does processing a payment on my account keep my number alive? If so, how many times do I need to process a payment? Im on the 8 gb data plan which I think is 50 USD per month.

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.5K Messages

a month ago

Sorry but if you turned off autopay in March, your account is closed by now. A prepaid account is automatically closed if the account balance is $0 for more than 60 days. Processing a payment would have kept your account active but it’s too late now. For future reference, what you should have done before leaving was change to a pay per use plan and refill your account with $100. A $100 refill is good for a year. Your account would have stayed open and the $100 would still be there to use when you return next January. You will need to open a new account with a new SIM card and new number. Sorry but your old number is lost, there is no way to request that number back.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

I processed a payment just before leaving. So there was 50 dollars on my account. I can still sign into my account with my number and it says "Make a payment to renew your plan" so if I put in 100 dollars into the account, will it be fine?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.5K Messages

I am surprised. I suspect you are very close to that 60 days. Anyway, if you can still login, your account is still open. Any payment will set a new expiration date and keep your account open. If you do a $100 refill, make sure you change to a pay per use plan first. Otherwise your $50 plan will renew. As noted a $100 refill is good for a year or until it gets used. A $25-$99 refill expires in 90 days.

(edited)

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

Thank you so much!

Is the 2 dollars a day a pay per use plan? It says that "Plan charge will be automatically deducted each day that phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a Wi-Fi call or a call to retrieve a message from voice mailbox) or send a text or picture/video/sound message." So if I switch to this plan and then make a 100 dollar payment, I should be fine.

Again, thank you so much, I'm very grateful for your help!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.5K Messages

There are two pay per use plans, $2/day and $0.25/minute. Either will work and as noted, you are only charged if the phone is used, which it won’t be since you don’t have service. Just curious, what country are you in? Account access is normally blocked from most locations abroad, unless you are using a VPN.

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

I am in India, and I'm using a different sim so there's no chance of me accidentally using my US number, thankfully! Also, I've never had trouble accessing my account online when I'm abroad. I didn't know this was an anomaly.

I switched to the $2 plan. Thank you so much!

Get started...

Ask a new question