Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Enjoy 8GB of high-speed data for $25/mo.
G

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jul 26, 2021 11:16 AM

Im from Australia, I purchased prepaid phone on Holiday to USA, can I ever unlock it?

I have come to Hawaii on holiday for 2 months. I tried buying a cheap pre-paid phone from AT&T store but due to phone shortages the cheapest I could get was a iPhone SE 2020, which was a bit more expensive than I had hoped to pay.

Obviously this is locked to AT&T and I need 6 months of 'active service' to be able to unlock it.

I will return to Australia after my holiday and was wondering

- is there any way I can maintain active AT&T service for 6 months after I return to Australia so I can unlock it?
       - what would be the cheapest way of keeping my service active

- and am I likely to run into difficulties doing this?

- or is it not worth the hassle and I should just ditch the phone after my holiday.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.4K Messages

10分前

Sure, you can keep your service active to meet the 6 month requirement. The cheapest way would be to change to a pay per use plan before you leave and refill your account with $25. A $25 refill is good for 90 days. If that doesn’t get you to 6 months, refill again before your balance expires. Your biggest issue will be refilling from Australia. Account access is blocked from most countries abroad so you may not be able to login to refill. A US based VPN might be a workaround. Another option to refill is to call the international support number.

• 

4 Messages

10分前

Ok, so if I do that will I just use the unlock service on AT&T website

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Does it rely on sending a SMS that I won't be able to receive back in Australia?

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.4K Messages

10分前

Ok, so if I do that will I just use the unlock service on AT&T website

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Yes.

Does it rely on sending a SMS that I won't be able to receive back in Australia?

No, only an email address is required.

• 

4 Messages

10分前

Thankyou, fingers crossed.

How good is Hawaii!!!

• 

4 Messages

4分前

Thankyou #Sandblaster

It worked using a VPN. I was a bit nervous as it originally said my Account details were incorrect, but I tried the other unlock method using my EIMI number and it worked straight away.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.