Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Enjoy 16GB of high-speed data for $25/mo.
navallacrosse's profile

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Jun 2, 2022 6:24 AM

I pre-loaded $150 dollars into my account to retain the number for 1yr- now I can't find the $150 anywhere.

I travel internationally for long periods of time. When I leave the US, I turn-off Auto pay. To keep the account active for up to 1 year, I need to keep $100 in the account balance. I preloaded $150 dollars into my account. 

it's been 4 months, and I'm resuming service. I've turned on Auto-pay, and service returned to normal.

I cannot find the pre-loaded $150 dollars in the account balance. I've got bank statements showing the payment processed, but nowhere on my AT&T prepaid account does it say $150 balance. it just says "$0 balance"

So: where is the money? how do I verify AT&T has is still? and, how do I use it to pay my monthly auto-pays?

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4分前

What plan were you on when you turned auto pay off? 

Even with auto pay off your account is going to use the balance to refill your  plan every 30 days, except on the pay per use plans, which were discontinued 6 months ago. 

• 

6 Messages

4分前

Thanks, formalyknownas, 

I was on the 45/mo 6gb plan.

I was told if I disable autopay then the payments stop, and the account is on lock for 60 days, or 1yr if 100 is deposited.

So I'll look again to see if the accont had been making payment. but when I looked before there wasn't any posted monthly payments. 

I think your theory is the best option (it still forced me to pay, even with the autopay off), as when I resumed, I had to pay about an 11 dollar balance....

...Very particular..., if I was away 3 months paying 45, 90,135,.. Then the fourth month was 180, which would have left me with a partial balance, which I+is what I was left with. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.7K Messages

4分前

It’s not a theory, it is exactly how prepaid works. If your account balance is sufficient to pay for your plan, it will automatically get used to renew. 

• 

6 Messages

4分前

Ahh. Well I'm glad then att robbed me of 150 dollars. To make matters worse, the number is giving a pps6180... So there is a chance that not only am I out 150 dollars, but also the number which I wanted to keep. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4分前

I cannot remember the terms of that plan, if they included a $5 auto pay credit turning off auto pay, and losing that auto pay credit might have reduced your balance to zero.

FYI, you should pay closer attention to the changing plans. That plan ended several years ago and has been replaced several times by much cheaper plans.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4分前

@navallacros

To make matters worse, the number is giving a pps6180... So there is a chance that not only am I out 150 dollars, but also the number which I wanted to keep. 

if that is the case, it's far more likely that AT&T terminated your service because it could not connect to your phone and see whether or not it was compatible with voice over LTE service.

• 

6 Messages

4分前

Thanks for all the assistance. This is infuriating. three months ago I called the 1-800, talked to the reps, and was told to do this (add 100+ dollars) then turn off autopay. they said the account. The said the account would remain open for 1yr, and all i'd need to do was resume autopay when i got back.

re-plans: Thanks, I updated it to the better plan when I restarted autopay two days ago, thinking everything was good.

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.7K Messages

4分前

The said the account would remain open for 1yr, and all i'd need to do was resume autopay when i got back.

Actually, that part is true. Whatever partial balance you have left is still good for a year from when you did the refill. Since it’s not enough to renew your plan, it will sit in your account and keep the account open. That’s all presuming they didn’t cancel your account for having an unsupported phone.

• 

6 Messages

4分前

So this is probably the end of my immediate story, 
but I called the robot line 1-800, and did troubleshoot>phonecall>"you're unable to make calls because your bill isn't paid, you owe 40 dollars">make payment>use existing card>pay $40>completed. 

Service is resumed.

now my phone works, and I still (Edited per community guidelines) that ATT burned 150 dollars from my balance while Autopay was turned off. The presumption is: If autopay is off, then no payments will process unless I manually tell them to. ATT on the other hand thinks 'no-auto-pay' means 'yes-auto-deduct'.

So, in conclusion: my main issue has an answer (at&t decided to charge me anyway, and burned the $150), and my second issue (pps9180) is also resolved  (because they charged me, my account was zeroed out, and I needed to pay my bill).

the rest is me rambling.

The previous 5 times I've traveled long term abroad, I've called the 1-800, fumbled around for 15 minutes to get an operator, then told them to temporarily suspend the account for 5 months- and it always worked... this last time, the operator didn't let me do it and instead told me to set up the 100+ballance/disable autopay. When autopay is disabled, I assumed the account would NOT pull money from the balance. It did anyway, and also removed the autopay discount. It's probably a lost cause, but I'll swing by the local store and ask in person about the balance and see if I can get a 150 dollar gift card... we know the answer is %99 'nope' but it doesn't hurt to try.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4分前

If you were able to login and change plans, your number isn't canceled.

three months ago I called the 1-800, talked to the reps, and was told to do this (add 100+ dollars) then turn off autopay. they said the account. The said the account would remain open for 1yr, and all i'd need to do was resume autopay when i got back.

True, but with a missing caveat.. You had to switch to pay per use to avoid eating into your balance.

The pay per use plans were no longer available as of early January.  Pay per use only reduces your balance when you use service.  On monthly plan, your balance  is reduced every 30 days, even without use. 

• 

6 Messages

4分前

re: "pay per use plans were no longer available as of early January."

Feck, well... I wonder how I'll be able to suspend the service next time I'm away for many months. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4分前

@navallacrosse  yeah, time to shop around.. 

kevink

ACE - Scholar

• 

559 Messages

4分前

If you are going to be out of the US for long enough in the future, you may consider porting your line to an inexpensive carrier to essentially "park" the number, then porting back when you return.  A hassle, may be worth it to not spend $30/month which is the cheapest ATT prepaid monthly plan.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.