Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
K

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, July 13th, 2021 12:09 PM

How many months can I skip payment and still keep my prepaid number

I visit the US twice a year for several months each time. When I bought into the AT&T $30/month prepaid plan, the salesman at the shop told me I had 12 months from the date of sim card purchase to top up my balance in order to not lose that number. Is this true?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Maybe. That all depends on how much was initially put on your account. Your prepaid balance has an expiration date. The expiration date is based on the amount deposited, known as a refill. A $10-$24 refill expires in 30 days, a $25-$99 refill expires in 90 days, a $100 or higher refill expires in a year. Once your account balance hits $0, you then have 60 days to top up. A prepaid account is automatically closed if the account balance is $0 for more than 60 days after service expires.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

The salesman is incorrect. Once you activate your account you must keep it funded according to the following balanced expiration amounts;

A refill of $10 to $24 last 30 days, a refill of $25 to $99 last 90 days, a refill of $100 or more lasts 365 days. 60 days after the expiration of any of these refills your account is closed and your number is lost.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

I will add that you should know how to log into your account and check both your refill balance and turn auto pay on or off. Once you leave the country you will not be able to log in or manage your account, access from abroad is purposely blocked.

If you want to keep your account open and available, before you leave the United States switch to a pay-per-use plan ($2 per day or 25¢ per minute), and set it up for $25 auto pay which will add $25 from your method of payment every 90 days.   This will keep your account open and those funds will not be used so they are available when you switch back to a monthly plan while you are in the United States.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, but I actually am able to log in from overseas. I see only that I have a $30 monthly plan and that unused data rolls over to the next month if I pay on time. But there is no info on how long I have before the plan expires or my number is cancelled. Can someone point me to a link on the ATT website for this? Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

They just told you:  60 days after your money runs out.

https://www.att.com/support/article/my-account/KM1008480/

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

@JefferMC "They" told me two different things, so I appreciate you providing me that link that spells it out officially.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

Reply vs. Comment?

[ Be advised that you've posted on a community forum primarily peopled by other customers.  I am not an AT&T Employee.  An AT&T Customer Support rep may or may not ever reply to your post. ]

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

The only question I see is "when does your money run out."   Money may leave the account because you use it (monthly service or per-day if on that plan) or because it expires.  lizdance40 was trying to help you understand how your money will run out (so that the 60 day clock starts).

• 

4 Messages

The main question is actually: what will it take for me to lose my number. This happened to me on a rival carrier because I was stuck overseas during covid and unable to top up the account since the carrier demanded id verification via a text to the US prepaid phone that was unable to receive or send US text messages. Looks like this will not happen on ATT since (so far at least) I am able to access my account overseas. And now, thanks to your help, I know how long I have to top it up.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

3 years ago

When your account reaches $0 for 60 days, your account is closed and number lost.

If you are not going to use your account, move to a per call plan and put $100 in your account. Your account will stay active for 1 year. When you return, you can change to a current calling plan and use the funds before they expire.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I’m in the same boat as the OP. If I let my prepaid account go to $0 and the account automatically closes.. Can I use the same SIM card to reactivate another prepaid plan the next time I visit?

would be nice to activate in advance instead of finding an AT&T store again to buy a replacement sim.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Can I use the same SIM card to reactivate another prepaid plan the next time I visit?

@Alex7456 No. A deactivated SIM card can not be reactivated.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Ok thank you for your reply 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.