Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
R

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 21st, 2020 6:35 PM

How do I cancel my account? How can I get a refund?

Hello!

I'm out of the country and I have not been able to use the services I'm paying for, so I'd like to cancel my account and also get a refund, as I have paid for May (AutoPay) and I cannot use the services.

How can I do that? I've already tried their online chat, but the robot does not let me chat with a real person. I cannot solve the problem without chatting with a real person because, for some reason, I do not have an account, and I don't want to have to call them because I really don't like calling people and talking on the phone.

Thanks a lot!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Sorry, prepaid does not refund. To cancel prepaid, just stop paying. To stop autopay, your only options if you can’t access your account are to call or cancel the card used for autopay. If you call, call the international support number but be aware hold times are excessive.

Support for travel abroad

+1.408.962.1025

• 

3 Messages

Hi! Thanks for replying!

I feel that I have gotten a refund once (I've always used prepaid), but I don't remember when or why. Also, I don't understand why you say that prepaid in general does not refund: we're still customers! Take my case, for example: although they don't necessarily have to refund me, if they don't, I'm probably not going to do business with AT&T again. I'm paying for a service that's not being used; therefore, not getting a refund seems unfair to me, and that's probably how a lot of people feel. That's why not refunding makes no sense to me, and that's also why I'm a little bit skeptical about what you're telling me (sorry, it's nothing personal. I'm a skeptical person LOL)… Well, if I wanted to try a refund, is calling them my only option?

Oh, and I'm going to cancel my credit card. I hadn't thought of that; thanks!

Again, thanks a lot for replying.

Have a wonderful weekend!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

Prepaid is like purchasing soda out of a vending machine you put money in you get a product out. Whether or not you use it is up to you. "fair"has nothing to do with it. This isn't red rover on the playground, it's business/grown up stuff.

Prepaid is also a self managed service. You could have stopped paying and saved yourself some money if you had turned off auto-pay in your pay go online account. If you are able to login to your account you can still do that.

AT&T does not " refund" (there is no mechanism for that) but they might be willing to credit your account.
In order to use that credit when you get back to the United States, you would have to change to a pay-per-use account and add sufficient refill to extend your balance until you return.
The only way AT&T can do that is if you call them.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

@joey2007ua
Exactly.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

Thanks for your kind support.

There's another thing I'd like to bring up. I though that I wouldn't need to mention this, but I'm quite sure that I have suspended my account before this whole situation. I've heard that you cannot suspend prepaid, but I've done it twice. They did not charge me for April, but I did not ask them to unsuspend my account and they still charged me for May. Also, I did not ask for a one-month suspension: I asked them to suspend my account; therefore, an indefinite suspension is clearly implied...

Is a refund still impossible? At this point, I think I'm willing to call them, but I'm asking because I don't want to waste my time LOL.

Thanks again. :)

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

As we already wrote there is no refund. Joey2007 even posted link to policy which says twice, no refunds.
The only thing they would do if you call and ask is credit your existing at&t account balance.

Suspension just stops the SIM card from working. Suspension does not stop auto pay if you leave auto pay on. Suspension of service would also prevent you from being able to log in and change your plan.
Turning auto payoff is a simple switch in your pay go online account. If you didn't turn it off yourself you would have to call AT&T and ask them to do it for you.

If you just want to terminate service call your bank and cancel and have them replace your debit or credit card.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.