Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Jearen's profile

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 31st, 2023 5:54 PM

HACK FROM AMERITECH

I RECEOVED A MESSAGE TODAY FROM MY CREDIT CARD DARK WEB SEARCHES. APPARENTLY AN EMAIL FROM AMERITECH HACKED MY PHONE NUMBER AND OTHER INFORMATION.

THE EMAIL ADDRESS IS 5HIS HACK CAME FROM IS :

Email
[email scrubbed]
ĤAS AMERITECH BEEN HACKED AGAIN.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 months ago

Why don't you call Ameritech. This is a public customer only forum. It is not AT&T Support. If your personal info has been stolen, then take all of the usual precautionary steps to protect yourself.

3 Messages

6 months ago

Thank you Otto, When I was looking up Ameritech it came up as ATT. The Ameritech site did not load.  So I thought I would try this. 

Sorry for the inconveneince.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 months ago

No inconvenience. Ameritech was one of the original seven Regional Bell Operating Companies that was created after the Bell System was broke up in 1984. It was acquired in 1999 by SBC Communications which was eventually acquired by AT&T so that's probably why you were directed back to AT&T. There is no entity called Ameritech anymore.

The email could have been a phish attempt using your information which is available on the dark web (like most everyone's info is nowadays). Did the email ask you to click on a link, call a number, or respond in any way?

3 Messages

6 months ago

Thank you for the information. I called my home phone provider and had my number changed. Most of the accounts that the number was associated with. I deleted all these sites. My credit card company has an identity theft program, they are the ones that informed me.Thank you for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 months ago

@Jearen So, did you click on any links, phone numbers, what ever? The most common steps in identity theft is:

1. File a police report (if your credit/debit cards have been used).

2. Notify AT&T Fraud.

3. Notify your credit card companies because you would/should need new credit/debit cards.

4. Change all of your passwords to your important accounts.

5. Dispute any charges that you don't recognize regardless of the amount.

6. Start monitoring all of your accounts (even the autopay ones) at least a couple of times per month to catch any suspicious activity.

Don't just depend on your credit card company. You need to be pro-active for awhile to make sure that your identity is not being used. Changing your phone number is fine but they still have your name, address, etc. It is very easy for the professionals on the dark web to gain access to your information, as it appears that your information has been sold and is now attempting to be used by someone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.