Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

1 Message

Mon, Feb 10, 2020 9:50 AM

Extended use in Canada (6+ months at a time)

I'm looking at the current promo pre-paid plan $25 for 8gb data, or the $65 unlimited data plan (reduced to $45 with auto-pay). If I'm in Canada for extended periods of time, say 6-8 months at a time before returning to USA. Are there any issues, will my plan be cancelled? I have previously used a plan in the province of Quebec and they said if I wasn't in the province a certain amount of days per 3 month period then they would cancel my service. So I'm curious if there are roaming restrictions for how much time I need to spend on US networks to ensure I keep service. Also, provided I am in a valid partner network coverage area, will I still get 4G or 3G data speeds in Canada? The language isn't very clear on the plan pages.

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

There used to be a 50% restriction meaning if more than 50% of your usage over a 3 month period was in Canada, your plan could be cancelled. I believe that restriction is no longer in place and you will be fine. ATT’s roaming partner is Rogers. You will get whatever data speeds they deliver. I got decent LTE speeds last year. My guess is you may see speeds restricted to 2G after a few months but that’s just a guess.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…