Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
5GB of Hotspot Data With an Unlimited Plan
Unsatisfied423's profile

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 18th, 2022 3:54 AM

(Edited per community guidelines)

I am a MetroPCS customer...

I broke my phone, so I went to local Dollar General & bought a prepaid phone with intention of switching current MetroPCS plan to said phone...

Nowhere on packaging does it state "upon purchase of this device: device MUST be active with native carrier for 6 months before becoming eligible for carrier unlock"

Nor was I informed in any way, shape, or form, of this "device hostage situation", by the employee that sold me the phone...

MetroPCS has nothing stopping them from letting me switch to this phone, once I successfully get the unlock completed...

If I am unable to get this taken care of so that I can get my existing providers plan to work on this device, then I'm going to go ahead & check in with my attorneys & do everything in my power to inform/educate other prospective consumers, & expose this 'SCAM'!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

5 months ago

You buy a phone for the carrier listed. Normally an unlock is for a phone and service you have already had. So looking into the unlock requirements before purchasing the phone would have been suggested.

Naturally, the packaging will not list information for using with another carrier. It will list info only for the carrier it is for.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.3K Messages

5 months ago

Maybe get an eye exam?   

Every phone sold at the dollar general, and everywhere else that sells clamshell packaged prepaid phones sells them marked for the carrier...

And they ALL are carrier locked.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.3K Messages

5 months ago

If I am unable to get this taken care of so that I can get my existing providers plan to work on this device, then I'm going to go ahead & check in with my attorneys & do everything in my power to inform/educate other prospective consumer

You are going to spend money on an attorney to get a cheap prepaid phone unlocked? Sure, you are.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 months ago

Sooooo....you bought a phone a DG which is clearly marked which provider it is tied to (AT&T/Verizon/USCellular/etc.) and you are mad that a.) you can't transfer the phone to your provider in the time frame you thought and b.) the DG employee did not tell you this?  Alrighty then.

And here's a heads up:  Attorneys charge between $500 & $700 AN HOUR.   The ROI doesn't really make sense.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.3K Messages

5 months ago

then I'm going to go ahead & check in with my attorneys

Um...  That makes no sense.  Do you understand that this is completely legal? That every carrier is allowed to lock these clamshell packed prepaid phones which are deep discounted at or below cost? 

& do everything in my power to inform/educate other prospective consumers, & expose this 'SCAM'!

The FCC is the body of government which regulates how cell phone carriers may do business. Including the sale of inexpensive prepaid phones that are discounted at or below service.

Have a read. I realize that if you couldn't read the packaging and realize that it was locked to AT&T until you had paid for 6 months of prepaid service, reading the whole FCC CTIA agreement may be a bit much. 

Any HONEST attorney will read it, and tell you there's nothing you can do and then  bill for 15 minutes worth of professional consult.

NOT A SCAM

https://www.fcc.gov/document/ctia-letter-carrier-unlocking-voluntary-agreement-fcc-statements

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 months ago

ACE - Sage

• 

104.3K Messages

5 months ago

They are pesky things. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 months ago

Facts just get in the way of perceived reality.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.