Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
csheath's profile

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

Saturday, May 30th, 2020 4:49 PM

Early Billing

I was planning to change to the lower price $30 per month plan with auto pay since I rarely use any data. When I went to change it the other day it had a red warning advising me not to change until the day before my plan was due so I waited. It is the day before and AT&T billed my credit card already.

Have I missed the oportunity to change to the lower price plan for another month?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

No but you need to make the change before your plan renews. Your autopay refilled your account and it is normal for autopay to refill 1-2 days before the plan renews. Any extra payment will remain on your account as a balance and will be used next month.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

Why would I change and make an extra payment now as opposed to just waiting till next month.

My beef is the message telling me to WAIT until the day before my term expires then charging my card a day early. They pulled a bait and switch on me and it is clear the only way to change to a lower price plan is to forfeit a couple of days of prepaid service.

If you are not an AT&T employee that can suggest a solution your comments are not helpful or wanted.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

If you change before your plan renews, you won’t make an extra payment. The payment you already made will be used for the new plan. By “extra payment”, I meant whatever is left over from the auto refill not used to pay for the new plan. Why would you say this isn’t helpful? It’s the correct information. When you change your plan, the old plan terminates and you lose any remaining days. That is why they warn you not to change until the day before your plan renews.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

So you don't understand that them suggesting I wait until the day before then charging me the day before circumvents my ability to change? NO I don't find your suggestion helpful at all.

I was mainly venting here in hopes an AT&T employee might see my complaint and be able to suggest a way to roll back the charge so I could go ahead and change plans now.

I didn't really expect that to happen but I don't need you to tell me I will have to do it two days before to make it happen next month.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

You obviously aren’t understanding me. Your ability to change plans has not been compromised. You haven’t paid for your old plan to renew yet, the amount refilled is still sitting in your account. It is normal for autopay to refill 1-2 days before the renew date. So, say your old plan was $40. That $40 is on your account ready to pay for your plan as soon as it expires which is probably midnight tonite. If you change your plan now, $30 of that $40 will be used immediately for the new plan. The other $10 will remain on your account and will get used next month, so next month your autopay should be $20. I’m actually trying to help you. I don’t understand your attitude.

(edited)

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

Perhaps I can help explain it to you if I do it a different way. Two or three days before your plan renews your electronic fund transfer is taken from your method of payment. The funds are put into your prepaid AT&T balance. If you log into your online prepaid account you will see there is money on your balance which should equal what was taken from your bank less the taxes which goes to the government. While you have a positive balance you can change your plan, because that money has not yet been taken by AT&T to refill your monthly service.
If you wait too long, your balance will drop to zero because AT&T has refilled your plan. If that happens then you do have to wait another 30 days

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.