Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
H

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Nov 24, 2020 12:57 PM

Deployed overseas (Europe) - Activating a new prepaid sim card

Hello,

I am currently deployed overseas. My previous ATT Bill Pay plan had expired while I was over here ( I intentionally ended it due to long term overseas deployment ).

I will now be returning home soon. I purchased a pre-paid sim card online and had it sent to me here. I received a new number and the sim card arrived this morning.

The device is a fully unlocked iPhone XS purchased in the US from an Apple Store.

However, when I insert the sim card it just says "No Service". I assume this is because I am not connecting to AT&T cell towers. 

Is there anything I can do from here or do I need to wait until I return home ? I won't be doing so for another couple months and I want to start providing my new number to various service providers and family / friends.

Thank you.

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

You may be able to activate the SIM card online but you still may not get service. Prepaid does not roam internationally except Canada, Mexico and select European countries. If you are on one of those countries, you need an active plan and the international add on to roam. Anyway, try att.com/activate. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

I have to question the wisdom of activating a plan that you can’t use, because I assume AT&T is going to expect him to pay for it.   Yes?

It makes a lot more sense to wait until he’s back in the United States, activate the plan with his new number, and then distribute that number among friends and family when it can actually be used.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

@sandblaster - Thank you for the response. I tried visiting att.com/activate but I get an "Access Denied" error message. I will try that later when I will have access to a network that originates within the US, perhaps that's the problem.

@lizdance40 - I intentionally paid for a sim card and plan already. I have an active plan and phone number. I am going through the process of preparing myself for the return home. I have to re-activate services and update my information, most only accept a US phone number to do so.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

You might want to Port your number to Google Voice next time. That way you would have a u.s. number ready and waiting, and people who have that number could still reach you abroad.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question