Enjoy 16GB of high-speed data for $25/mo.
B
BillJohn
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

27 Messages

Fri, Apr 15, 2022 7:40 AM

Data usage

Please explain how data is used. To save data I have been turning data off when it is not in use and turning data on when it's used. I have used data 3 times each time for simple quick web use such as checking email or a data base, no streaming and no video chat.  First time it said I used 25mg , 2nd time said 50 mg total,  and 3rd said 70mg total. This sound like a lot of data for minimal use. Is there a minimum data amount each time data is used? Is there a data charge when data is turned on or when data is turned off?

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2分前

First of all data is now cheap.  AT&T is least expensive $30 for 30 days Prepaid Plan includes 5 GB of data. Typical smartphones will use about 2 to 3 GB in a month just for normal usage.  

If you are on an old plan with a very limited amount of data, you're probably paying too much for what you have. Some of the old plans had less than 1 GB of data and we're charging you ridiculous amounts for it, and the penalty of $20 if you exceeded your meager allowance.  

Newer plans cost the same but include a lot more data as well as unlimited talk and text. 

Data is not measured in milligrams (mg) as you indicated.  

Data is measured in kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes.  There are 1024 KB in a MB , and 1024 MB in a GB.  

Your smartphone relies on data to function.   Turning off data means that once your smartphone can access data again it will update any system that has been disconnected. It is unlikely you are saving any data what-so-ever by turning data off, the updates just wait till reconnected.

Just loading an app, like your web browser, is going to take the same amount of data each time before you even begin your web search.  

Also if data is off and you lose your phone you will not be able to locate it.  

It's false economy.    

You might want to look at the new plans, including plans from other service providers.  Because you are pinching the wrong sort of pennies. If you have a current plan you're going to wind up with a large amount of rollover which expires, as it rolls for one month only. 

BillJohn

• 

27 Messages

2分前

The mg was a clerical error, assume the mg should be GB.  The term turning data off meant turning off ATT data using wifi when it can be used instead of  ATT data

Dont understand how a smartphone relies on data to function. Thought data was only used when on the web, streaming, or downloading or updating apps.

Is data also used when using the phone to talk, using the camera, or. using apps such as word processing or scanning documents etc which dont require the web.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

2分前

Your smartphone is loaded with apps.  Those apps may go to the internet for all sorts of things, checking to make sure that you don't need to do an update, for news, notifications, ads (this is a lot of it these days).  E-mail apps will check in the background to see if you have new e-mails.  

Even when you think you have your data turned off, some phones have a "feature" that allows them to use mobile data when Wi-Fi isn't adequate/stable/fast-enough.

Depending on your phone, you should be able to see what mobile data you are using and what applications are using the data.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2分前

Is data also used when using the phone to talk, using the camera, or. using apps such as word processing or scanning documents etc which dont require the web

No. Data is only used when an app or phone function needs to connect to the internet. So, for example, your phone camera does not use data to take pictures but if your pictures are saved to the cloud, that will use data if not on WiFi. A smart phone will use data even if you aren’t on the web or using an app that connects to the internet. One phone function that uses data regularly is location services. You totally control what apps and phone functions are allowed to use data through your phone settings.

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

2分前

Go into Settings and look at each of your apps and see if it is using Background App Refresh. If so these apps will be connecting and is pulling data to refresh info even if you are not using the app.  For example email can push new email every 15 to 30 minutes. Twitter can also push new feeds. 

BillJohn

• 

27 Messages

2分前

If both wifi and att data are turned on does that mean the phone will try wifi first and if that doesn't work use att data, or will the phone use att data first?

Android phones come with gmail built in. Are you saying that gmail automatically checks for new email messages even when not loaded, just by turning the phone on?

Also does text or talk use data. The plan says unlimited talks and text and x amount of data. Seems if talk and text use data and data is limited, the plan would not say unlimited talk and text?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2分前

If both wifi and att data are turned on does that mean the phone will try wifi first and if that doesn't work use att data, or will the phone use att data first?

That depends on the phone and the app and phone settings. Most phones and apps will just use WiFi if connected to WiFi. However, most smartphones have a setting called “WiFi assist”. With WiFi assist enabled, the phone will use both WiFi and cellular data. There are also some phone functions that will use cellular data even if connected to WiFi. Location services is one example. Visual voicemail is another.

Android phones come with gmail built in. Are you saying that gmail automatically checks for new email messages even when not loaded, just by turning the phone on?

Yes. I have an iPhone and my iPhone built in email app automatically checks for email. Once again, check phone settings. There may be a way to configure gmail to only check for email when you want it to or only use WiFi.

Also does text or talk use data. The plan says unlimited talks and text and x amount of data. Seems if talk and text use data and data is limited, the plan would not say unlimited talk and text?

Talk and text do not use data. Sending or receiving picture texts do require that cellular data is on but the data does not count against your data allotment.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2分前

@BillJohnFirst time it said I used 25mg , 2nd time said 50 mg total,  and 3rd said 70mg total.

The mg was a clerical error, assume the mg should be GB. 

Uuhhh... 

So you are trying to say you turned on your data for a brief time, and the phone used 25 gigabytes , 2nd time 50 gigabytes total,  and 3rd  70 gigabytes

For a total gigabytes of 145?

I don't think so. Please go back and actually look at your phone, I suspect what you see is a k b or kilobytes.  Maybe megabytes.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

2分前

I have WiFi Assist disabled as well as Background App Refresh. Push Notifications is disabled for all apps except for a few. I rarely check my mail on my phone and when I do, I launch the app to check and then close it again. My data usage, even tho I'm on an Unlimited plan has stayed fairly consistent for years. WiFi is enabled all of the time.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2分前

@formerlyknownas I suspect mg meant megabytes, not gigabytes.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2分前

@sandblaster

I am quite sure he did not mean GB. But not knowing the difference between a gigabyte and a megabyte and a kilobyte maybe an issue here. If the original poster is indeed measuring in KB, he has used a fraction of data so small it can barely be measured.  If it's megabytes, then he still has a long way to go to use one gig of data.  And based on the progression, I do suspect that the total used is 70, collectively, not in addition. 

Unless this person is using a pay per use plan and adding on 250 megabyte data for 30 days, the rationing of data is ridiculous, and likely not effective anyway.  If this person is on an older share plan that includes only half a GB of data a month, they are paying $50 for an extremely limited plan with a $20 overage fee if they go over.  The current 4 gigabyte plan is $50.  Makes no sense to stress out over a service

Data is cheap now. 

BillJohn

• 

27 Messages

2分前

The total amount of data for these 3 days is 70mb, that is 25 mb the first day, 25 mb the 2nd day and 20mb the third day. As said each time for simple quick web use such as checking email or a data base, no streaming, and no video chat. Data saver is on.

When looking at the data usage details 52 mb was used for browsers which is the only thing I used data for. However data was used for all sorts of other apps which I did not use and some of which I did not even know I had

When looking at the details several of the apps were checked to "allow this app to use mobile data while running in the background" and "allow this app to use mobile data without restrictions even when Data saver is on"

Cant figure out why data would be used ie in the background ie when a person is not using data or why data would be used without restriction when data saver is on.

Are there any apps for which either of the above (running in the background or without restriction when data saver is on) should be checked to allow, and if so which apps?

BillJohn

• 

27 Messages

2分前

Im on the plan which allows 5mb of data a month and unlimited talk and text. Figure most people must use more data as there are plans with more data. Dont know what "typical use" is but if typical use is 2-3 gigabytes a month then 25mb a say for a quick check of email would come out to 750 mb a month (think thats 7.5 gigabytes a month) which is way over this. So thats  why asking if using data has a minimum each time or if turning mobile data on or off itself charges data usage

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

2分前

Cant figure out why data would be used ie in the background ie when a person is not using data or why data would be used without restriction when data saver is on.

The very definition of in the background means when the user isn't using the app.  

Are there any apps for which either of the above (running in the background or without restriction when data saver is on) should be checked to allow, and if so which apps?

In general this is necessary for push notifications and/or having data prepared for you when opening the app.

For example:

• A messaging app would need to listen continuously for messages in order to notify you in real time that a text message has arrived.
  • An e-mail app would similarly need to continuously check the server for new messages if only to keep the badge on the icon updated to the number of unread messages you have. 
  • A weather app may check for alerts, or just pull data periodically to update a widget to show you current conditions.
  • If you allow a web site to show you notifications (vs clicking on block), it can keep a thread open on the browser to convey to you any notification that site might want to send you.
  • An app for a store may want to send you push notifications about a sales promotion; that requires data when you are not using the app.  It may send your location (unless you disabled that) to see if you're near the store.
  • Health monitoring apps may send data (e.g. step counts, heart rate, etc.) even when you are not actively using the app.
  • If you are on Android and have allowed location monitoring, your location will be pushed in the background
  • A news app may pull stories and headlines to feed a widget or to just have them ready for you should you open the app

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

2分前

@BillJohnIm on the plan which allows 5mb of data a month and unlimited talk and text.

You mean a 5 gig plan. ($30 prepaid?)

If it were five megabyte plan you were already be capped on day one. 

At the rate of 25 megabyte a day, you will use only 750 megabytes a month, or 3/4 of one gig.   Which means you would have 4.25 roll over to the following months and have 9. 25 to use on month 2.   Since at&t only allows your data to roll over for one month, you will not have any more than 10 gigs to use in any one month.   There's absolutely no reason for you to be saving data by turning off your mobile data constantly. Turn it on and leave it on.   Use up the 5 gigs. 

Figure most people must use more data as there are plans with more data.

Sweetie, YOU are paying for a plan with 5 gigabytes of data and wasting 4.  AT&T is not going to give you a credit, or allow your data to roll over continuously from month to month. There is absolutely no reason not to use the full five gigs of data but you are paying for

Dont know what "typical use" is but if typical use is 2-3 gigabytes a month then 25mb a say for a quick check of email would come out to 750 mb a month (think thats 7.5 gigabytes a month)

No.  You are putting the decimal point in the wrong place.  You will use 0.75 of one gig of data. 

As I wrote above, KB are the smallest MB are the medium-sized, GB are the most. You are using less than 1 GB, and paying  for 5 gigs, wasting 4.

which is way over this.

No!

So thats  why asking if using data has a minimum each time or if turning mobile data on or off itself charges data usage

As I suspected you do not understand data, you are trying to fit into a false economy. You have more than enough data to just leave data on and use it.

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.