Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
R

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Jan 21, 2020 6:26 PM

Canada Coverage AT&T Prepaid

Hi AT&T,

I see that you support voice,data in Canada on AT&T prepaid plans on 45$ monthly plan.

I want to check what network operator will provide signal over there in Montreal, Canada?

Will it be AT&T network where I have access to voice, and LTE data?

Or Will it be via Rogers network which is considered off-net and perhaps the data speeds will be reduced to 2G?

I want to know if I travel to Montreal will I be getting LTE speeds with the cap provided in the plan or will it always be 2G speeds?

Thanks

Raghav

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.2K Messages

10 months ago

ATT does not provide the service in Canada. ATT’s roaming partner is Rogers. Not sure why you would expect 2G speeds, I got LTE in Canada on Rogers.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

@sandblaster Hi , thanks for your reply. Well I read on AT&T website , it says 'International off-net (roaming) data use in Canada or Mexico may be reduced to 2G speeds.' , so I was not sure what off-net means here? I would assume if you're not on AT&T network it is off-net and hence it would be reduced to 2G speeds.

So you confirm you're using AT&T prepaid in Canada and it works with Rogers and you get LTE speeds?

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.2K Messages

The key there is “may be reduced to 2G speeds“, not “will be”. I can confirm I got LTE in Canada but I am not prepaid. I have seen posts from other prepaid users confirming they got LTE, though.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

Alright. Sounds good. I will take this and try it out as I see much better rates compared to plans over there in Canada.

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

10 months ago

Hello,

Yes all prepaid unlimited plans cover North America. Talk, text and data work across all three countries, though they roam in Canada and Mexico. Typically Rogers is good to great, especially in urban areas, like Montreal. He coverage map is shown online under www.att.com/coverage to check the areas you’ll be in. The 2g fine print is to cover the fact that it’s “up to LTE speeds” based on Rogers network availability.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

5 Messages

Sounds good..

Do you know if I should be able to use this as an eSim in Canada using iPhone? ( not having any other sim card in the phone making eSim as a primary sim ). I read eSim supports Wifi calling while prepaid sim does not.

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

@raghavgrover yes, esim works for prepaid, however I dont believe WiFi calling would because it’s a feature of postpaid accounts, not prepaid.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.4K Messages

There is no difference between having a physical Sim or an esim. If your phone supports Wi-Fi calling on AT&T, and you are on the 8 gig plan or the cheaper of the two prepaid unlimited plans, or are grandfathered into the $85 Unlimited prepaid plus plan, then you have Wi-Fi calling.

Please activate Wi-Fi calling before you leave the United States. You must activate while connected to AT&T network.

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

5 Messages

Thank you. This helps.

Now I need to first find eSim activation kit ( not sure if an Apple store would have these?? ) , as AT&T is only going to send me physical sim cards.

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.2K Messages

@mobilemax Wifi calling is now supported on prepaid also. Has been for awhile.

Get started...

Ask a new question