Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
abba's profile

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 16th, 2023 8:22 PM

AT&T Prepaid maximum account balance

What is the maximum account balance you are allowed to have on an AT&T prepaid account? I have heard different amounts such as $500, $700, and $899. Also what will happen if you go over the limit? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

1 year ago

There is no longer a maximum balance on your AT&T prepaid account. But it makes a whole lot more sense to use the service rather than keep paying in as required.   You can't use that money for anything else other than paying for service, you can't withdraw the money. So make phone calls for gosh sakes send text messages.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

I believe it’s $500 but whatever it is, it’s not stated anywhere in the wireless agreement that I can find. As for what happens if if you go over the limit, nothing. The system should not allow you to add funds that put you over the limit, but if it does, it just won’t allow you to add any more. Just be aware the expiration date still applies. If you are at your limit and not allowed to add more to extend the expiration date, your balance will still expire if you go past that expiration date.

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

I was so happy to find you--it made me feel I am not alone in this problem.  I think I can shed some light to this matter.  First, to the person who questioned why we would want so much money in an account.   Trust me, I don't, but I have to put at least $100 a year in my account or I lose it and I just do not choose to use a cell phone very much.  Don't get me wrong--I love my phone it is fantastic security on the road, during electrical failures, if I am shopping and think a friend might want something, etc, I always have it, but rarely use it.  At 10 cents a minute I never use all my money and have lately been giving it to charity with cellular giving.

OK, so here is my story.  I noticed a couple of months ago that I was being charged 35 cents a minute.  I called AT&T and was told that the plan had changed.  OK, that's fine.  I also asked if there were any changes to the carryover amount since I had to add money in July and was carrying approx $480.  I was told yes.  I could now carry over $900, so I could keep my money.  Fine, so I did, and Sunday I went into an AT&T store to add $100.  Their computer would not allow me to do it.  I couldn't even add $25 but I had to add money.  By now, I was just over $2 over what would be $500 if I added just $25 for 3 months.  My store was FANTASTIC.  I asked was there a phone number my phone could call and just stay online for like 7-8 minutes.  They accommodated my request, and I was able to fulfill the "Catch 22" and protect my account until October.

Yesterday I decided to get to the bottom of the problem.  Finally, after approx 3 1/2 hours, total frustration. unneeded information and disconnects an AT&T employee sent me a text message.  PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN GOOD AND THE GOOD OF ALL OF US, DO NOT GO BY WHAT I AM SAYING--DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!!!  The text in part said just what I was told $900.  

Along the way, I was told if I used my credit card online I would have no problems.  Having been scammed in the past NOTHING TO DO WITH AT&T, no one tells me when to put my credit card online.  I have used the AT&T stores very well for years.

Finally, I called AT&T postpaid, explained situation and said I would like to talk to AT&T period.  I reminded him that an AT&T store does not say phone sales, prepaid service, postpaid service, home phone, TV, or Internet where applicable, it says AT&T and the actions of AT&T prepaid is a reflection of the whole company.

I am giving this info to help others as this forum helped me.  But, PLEASE, PLEASE DO YUR OWN WORK AND VERIFY AND I SUGGEST INSIST ON AT LEAST A TEXT MESSAGE.  I hope I have helped someone today.

1 Message

2 months ago

Thank You PupsysMom  that was the same problem I was having and needed to refill in 3 days, so I brought the account below $875 and was able to add $25 for a new 90 days. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

2 months ago

So somewhere in that long post, I believe the information you are trying to impart is that AT&T has a new limit, they just didn't publish it. That new limit is apparently $900 

This is AT&T's published terms. In the past these terms specifically stated the limit was $500, then $700. It currently has no stated limit.  

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidAutoPayTerms.html

Use your service.  AT&T would like these plans gone. 

Every time you refill for $100 for one year you are paying for time, not minutes. If you have 9 years worth of refills, AT&T will keep that money which they are entitled to If you eventually default. It is not refundable. If you were to pass away your heirs are not getting it. Use it. 

ACE - Scholar

• 

999 Messages

2 months ago

Spending $100/year seems kind of high for a number you MAY use someday.  It seems that there are cheaper options other places where you can prepay for well less than that.  Often prepaying for up to 360 days, and with a small amount of data available if needed.

Pay Per Use is a tough way to keep at a level balance.  If you actually use it too much, it can quickly get more expensive than monthly plans.  If you don't use it enough, it balloons over time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.