Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

So last week I went in to manage Smart Limits on one of my phones and discovered that the program is being retired. In a Live Chat, I learned that only the data limits part is--which, of course, is the only part I cared about. Another employee let me know that they're replacing it with a better program. 

But at this point I've neither seen nor heard indication of any such program. Does anyone know what's coming or whether we're getting the shaft? We just got talked into a shared data plan (two of my phones were unlimited), so I'm especially frustrated at the prospects.

I'm refraining from expressing the fullness of my feelings in hopes that they do introduce something good, but I'm skeptical. And we're only a month away from whatever change is coming.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I did hear it's expect to come out a few days after the smart limits expires. Seems a shame that it's not perfectly aligned with the expiration.

With my luck, I'll have training about the new services 2 days after it comes out.

-Alex

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

It is a shame that they didn't fill y'all in. The first tech I spoke with was very polite and empathetic, but was clearly in possession of less information than the other--and even he lacked specifics. And I can find absolutely nothing on the site--other than a warning to not set any limits, because the feature is expiring.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It would be good customer relations for ATT to let us know what's going on ahead of time instead of us having to find out by chance about the "data limits" retiring, but I'll still stay with ATT because, overall, I think its better than Verizon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Yes -- I HATE this change to Smart Limits and will be opting out of it immediately.  

We are on a family plan with a couple lines with unlimited data usage @ $30/mo and one for my son with 3GB/mo.  There is no way I want to switch to the mobile share plan which is what the ATT rep suggested as a way to be able to turn off data services on a per line basis with the ATT app.  Instead I'm now going to be forced to call in to ATT to do this whenever data overages becomes an issue.

Come on ATT -- offering the ability to specify a data plan that does NOT allow overages should have been offered from day one!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I think AT&T is trying to pressure customers into joining their family value plan, or else risk data overages, which can be astronomical! We also have a teen and we've used smart limits to limit her data usage. I was told over AT&T chat that if we want to stop her from using data we have to physically bring her iphone into the AT&T store and they have to turn her data OFF. They said we can't turn it off or on ourselves. That is not an acceptible solution! She runs out of data every month and she has 3 GB to use. We have also been customers for many years and this is really upsetting. They suggested we change plans to the value plan for the family - I'm not going to change plans. They did say that AT&T is upgrading the smart limits plan, and the upgrade does not include a data limit but they are working on something else, they just don't have it done yet. I would like to hear something official from AT&T about a possible solution replacement to losing this feature.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Don't rejoin or upgrade until you her all the details. See "trapped" in the blog

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I for one will be cancelling and changing our service to a different company. We had been very happy with AT&T for the first 8 years of service. The last year has been a different story. Seems like they keep making these changes sound like they are a good deal for "the people" just to turn around and stick it to you in another way. The only reason they are retiring this is to make us have to pay more money each month. Even if you try and control the data yourself, it will not work. I tried that before getting smart limits for my daughters phone. It is NOT completely accurate on how much data has been used. I also tried going off the 95% used text message, and would turn it off as soon as the text came thru. Still was being charged. When I called AT&T the lady said that it is a little behind so by the time I stopped it, she had already gone over with push notifications and or emails. Also, once you turn off the data manually, you can not receive picture messages either. Its getting ridiculous.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Also, we have the family value plan. It isn't any better when it comes to overages. It just means we all share the 15GB and so if one of us use 5GB, the rest of the family only gets 2.5GB. All it takes is for one memeber to go over their 2.5 and we get charged $15 per GB. Without being able to control your teens usage, you still have the same problem.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

How dumb is it for a communications company as large as AT&T to discontinue a program WITHOUT saying what the NEW program is? OBVIOUSLY they have a plan to replace the current program with something, but what it is they're not saying. All I can glean from the announcement is that once the current program is ended, you'll have all the same features as before but apparently no control over data usage. Sounds like it's purely an attempt by AT&T to make you unaware of exactly how much data is being used (because their data on usage is NEVER "exact") and hope that you'll miss any overage (that way they can just charge you for an extra GB of data at their whim). I've been with AT&T/Cingular and their predecessors since the first Motorola 'flip phone' (i.e. a brick!)....I will find a better deal elsewhere and they can eat the $300+ a month that I pay for 4 lines. Verizon is looking better all the time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.