Get the myAT&T app
ronphillips's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, October 14th, 2014 8:24 AM

What is the incentive for staying with this ATT&T?

I have been using AT&T since it was once Cingulair. And I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. So I never mind paying a little more to get better service with you my plans. But now my two year contract is up. Like I have done in the past I want trade my phone up and sign up again. However I was told that now I can just trade my old galaxy s3 up and get a discount on something like a s5. I have to pay out right for it, and still sign another contract. I dont get why I would want to do that? Why would I wanna pay more when I already budget my phone bill for the past 2 years. The plan fine, the cycel of every two year I can upgrade my phone to the newest hottest device for max $200, has always had a charm. Why cant   I do that anymore with out be penialized? I figure staying with the company means something. I just feel like just another faceless number. 

Ron

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

It is not guaranteed that your monthly bill will go up. If you are still on the exact sample plan you were on when you signed your last contract, your monthly bill will not change if you buy a contract subsidized phone. Now, if you changed your plan to a newer plan earlier this year, then you currently have a discount for being out of contract (which is not offered on the older plans). If you sign a new contract, you will lose that discount (and your bill should go back to about where it was before you switched plans).

If you want things to be exactly like they were in the past, make sure that you don't change your plan that you had in the past. AT&T generally grandfathers accounts & plans when they are discontinued, so when the older family talk plans were retired, you could keep them until you decided to change. Once you change, you are bound to the terms of hte new plan you switched to.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

thank you  so i just ask for   "a contract subsidized phone" i should be fine thank you very much

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

8 years ago

Ron,

You are correct. AT&T has lost its' desire to truly provide any reason to stay.

Current customer's are penalized for loyalty. Now, there is a $25 monthly loyalty fee if you want to sign a two-year contract. Why even offer the option?

#byeatt

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, the 2-year contract option is a joke.

And you are correct...Next is not for everyone...especially if you can perform simple mathematical equations.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, you are charged more for loyalty.

deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

8 years ago

@Unappreciated wrote:

Ron,

You are correct. AT&T has lost its' desire to truly provide any reason to stay.

Current customer's are penalized for loyalty. Now, there is a $25 monthly loyalty fee if you want to sign a two-year contract. Why even offer the option?

#byeatt

There is not a "$25 monthly loyalty fee".  Whether you are someone that has been with AT&T for 25 yrs or 1 yr you pay the same price.  If you are on the newer plans if you have 3 options, 1. Buy your phone outright, 2. Buy your phone on the NEXT program, or 3. Sign a 2 yr contract.  The reason for the discount on the NEXT program or outright is so you are not paying twice for the phone.  With the older plans you would sign a 2 yr contract and in the price you pay was paying for the phone.  WIth the new plans you are going to pay for the phone either way, either buying the phone outright or under the NEXT program or if you sign a 2 yr contract you are going to pay for the phone in your bill.

Kenny123

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

After 4 years with AT&T and having NO TROUBLE with Outlook as my E Mail client I switched to U Verse Internet.  Nothing but trouble with service. (it not working and no help from tech support).  They reads from a piece of paper and are not trained except to read) and "BILLING"  $5.00 off for this for a year, $37.00 off for this for a year.  Call billing and get diffferent answers.

I wonder if this company is just too big to be a company?

deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

8 years ago

@Kenny123 wrote:

After 4 years with AT&T and having NO TROUBLE with Outlook as my E Mail client I switched to U Verse Internet.  Nothing but trouble with service. (it not working and no help from tech support).  They reads from a piece of paper and are not trained except to read) and "BILLING"  $5.00 off for this for a year, $37.00 off for this for a year.  Call billing and get diffferent answers.

I wonder if this company is just too big to be a company?

What is the issue that you are having with your internet?

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T decided to raise prices on everyone to increase profit in the face of recent lawsuits (they were passing on fees to their customers and got caught) to make up what was lost. To quote a corporate marketing stooge "There's always more customers. Why waste money on loyalty programs?"

Don't be fooled by the fanatic preaching of AT&T "loyalists" regarding the NEXT (pay more for your phone) programs. AT&T has been slowly backing off its service for several years and covering it with marketing veneers like NEXT 12(really 18 months) and U-Verse 18Mbs!!(only if everyone else in your region logs off and they remembered to "flip the switch" to send you the data speed you're paying for.

Shop around, AT&T is the bloated giant in the communication field but the smaller, more nimble companies will eventually surpass it as it slowly collapses under its own weight.

deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

8 years ago

@jmcdesigner wrote:

AT&T decided to raise prices on everyone to increase profit in the face of recent lawsuits (they were passing on fees to their customers and got caught) to make up what was lost. To quote a corporate marketing stooge "There's always more customers. Why waste money on loyalty programs?"

Don't be fooled by the fanatic preaching of AT&T "loyalists" regarding the NEXT (pay more for your phone) programs. AT&T has been slowly backing off its service for several years and covering it with marketing veneers like NEXT 12(really 18 months) and U-Verse 18Mbs!!(only if everyone else in your region logs off and they remembered to "flip the switch" to send you the data speed you're paying for.

Shop around, AT&T is the bloated giant in the communication field but the smaller, more nimble companies will eventually surpass it as it slowly collapses under its own weight.

I have both cell phone and U-Verse with AT&T.  I have seen AT&T lower there prices last year, not raise them.  This year their prices are the same as they were before they were doing the discounts.  Also AT&T is here to make a profit.  I don't know of any of the 4 major carriers that still offer a loyalty discount.  With the U-Verse internet I have nothing but good things to say about it.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.