Get the myAT&T app
sky32015's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, December 10th, 2014 6:31 PM

Trade-in value issue

So I took advantage of the iPhone 5 trade in promotion while upgrading to the new iPhone 6. My phone was in excellent condition! So I am obviously expecting $200 which is more than fair. When I received my card, I went online to pay my $237 monthly cellphone bill and the original balance of my "promotion card" was $27.37- nowhere near the $200! Obviously, I called At&t who told me to call the promotion services department. I was told by the promotions department that my phone would not power on when they went to check it. I said that maybe the battery died. I was told that it was charged in the warehouse and still would not power on. Total crap!! The woman proceeded to tell me that my account shows that the promotion card should have been for $150 and not $27.37. So if my phone would not power on, why would you offer me $150?? She didn't know what to say. I asked to speak to a manager. She said no one was available! I then asked her to send me back my phone because this is a total scam. She said once it reached the warehouse there was nothing she could do. She said she would have a supervisor call me within 24-48 hours. I waited 3 days and no call. I called back again and went through the same process. No manager was available, someone would call me back. Days go by no one calls me back. I called again 3 days ago- and still noone has called me back. This is a total scam! I am contacting the Better Business Bureau today. By law someone will need to call me back within 14 days. I suggest anyone dealing with this issue contact the BBB as well. We have been loyal customers for years and spent thousands and thousands of dollars. I wish I would have known how they treat people prior to renewing another 2 year contract. Better believe I will be leaving this phone company as soon as I can get out of this contract. 

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

9 years ago

Hello, sky32015!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about your recent trade-in experience. We would be happy to investigate further, so please click here to send us a private message with your contact information, the best time to reach you, and a brief summary of the issue.

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen. In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, that's what att does. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Update: I contacted the AT&T rep per her request today(12/10/14) at 3:26pm.

I sent a reply today (12/10/14) at 5:02 pm. I just recieved a reply via email from a rep at 5:18pm to set up a time to talk by phone. I will provide an update after the phone call. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

2nd Update: Spoke to the AT&T Social Media Manager, Tachelle, last night. She actually listened my complaint and apologized for the inconvenience. She corrected AT&T's error by crediting my account the amount that was owed to me (full $200). I am happy that this issue was finally resolved after weeks of frustration. However, I am still bothered that it needed to be this complicated. I am sure there are people out there who try to take advantage of the mail in trade in program by sending in broken phones trying to get $200. I am sure that happens all the time. However, for people who are honest and naive like me, go to the store and do it in person. Lesson learned, I will never do this again. Additionally, I didn’t have to go through with filing a complaint with the BBB. So posting my complaint on here resolved my issue faster and easier than I thought it would. Thanks Tachelle!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

I'm glad you were able to come to a resolution to your problem with AT&T. I'm more happy that you came back and let us know. I'm sure that more people are able to get problems resolved, but they just don't come back and tell us that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I just got back from an ATT corporate store trying to recify the situation and then read this forum. I had the exact same reply. I got $27 instead of the $200 I was promised and told the phione would not power up and that because they have thousands of phones coming in they cannot charge them? Are you kidding me. My phone was in new condition and worked perfectly right up until I put it in the box to ship.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

@Anonymous  The woman we spoke to last night said that if this should happen again, call AT&T customer service- not the promotion line- and ask to speak to a manager there. We didn't try that so maybe it could help you? If that doesn't work- I would contact the better business  bureau. You can fill out a complain online. Or before trying the BBB- try to click on the AT&T customer support person who first posted on my post. Where it says "click here". I was able to send a private messge that got the ball rolling. Good luck!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This exact thing has happened to me. I was told that I would recieve this value when I purchased iphone 6 and now value has dropped trememdously. I just switched to AT&T and can't believe that there are more problems I have gone through with them then my previous carrier. Its like a Bait and Switch Tactic...just plain ridiculous. I think I am also going to file a complaint with BBB as many customers are going through the same thing. Not acceptable. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Forgot to mention I spent 4 hours at the store yesterday on top of that 1 hour on the phone. Apparently there is nothing they can do....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same thing happened to me.  I traded in a iphone 5s for $300 on 11/19.  I thought it was lost in transit but I finally reveived my promotion card for $300 on 1/6.  tTen on 1/22, I received an email that the phone would not power on and they had reduced the card to $38.70.

I call the att customer help desk and after 20 minutes on the phone, they said they could not help me I would have to call the number on the att trade in program 888-445-6005.  I waited for an hour but no person would answer the phone..  only I am sorry about the delay, please wait..

This is a total scam and a rip off the iPhone 5s was only 4 months old.. 

Do not trust this program!.   sell on eBay or go to a store to trade in..  this looks like it has been contracted out to a shady company that is profiting off unsuspecting people that think that this is a honest program with integrity.  It is not..

Beware and do not trust this program.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.