Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get the myAT&T app
minnesota8888's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, November 12th, 2017 3:48 PM

Studying Abroad for 6 months: Setting my phone to airplane mode and just use wifi?

I am studying abroad in Spain for six months. I already know about the international option where you can do the $10/day thing. I plan to use that in emergency situations, but I was wondering if I will be charged a fee or the $10/day even if I have my phone on airplane mode and am just using wifi? If I am not charged for just using wifi, I plan to just keep my phone that I use now, but if I do get charged for using wifi I'm thinking it would probably be better just to get a new phone when I get to Spain. Any thoughts/help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

The $10 charge is only charged when you use cellular services for calls, texts or data. With the phone in airplane mode, there will be no roaming charges because your phone will not be roaming. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

Since it’s 6 months, I would pay off your phone, unlock it,  port your number to google voice.   This cancels your ATT service.   Then use the phone with a local SIM card.  You can use google voice over Wifi to keep in touch with your US number.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.