Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get the myAT&T app
TommyNashville's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, February 14th, 2016 11:48 PM

"Smart Limits" - Why can't AT&T get it to work like Verizon?

Verizon has offered parental controls for years.  While the service can block specific numbers...that is NOT the feature I used or even cared about.

Verizon allows you to set any time period...lets say 11pm until 630am....and during that time period, the only people who can call IN or the only people who can be called (OUT) are those people specifically listed in the system as "Trusted Numbers". [I think there is an exception for emergency numbers, but that's not relevant to this question.]  So at night, the phone won't ring unless one of the "Trusted Numbers" calls in.  Those calls come thru anytime.

As best I can tell, AT&T cannot get their product to offer a reasonable solution which measures up to Verizon's excellent service.  Why not?  

AT&T calls their parental controls "Smart Limits".  But if you read how it works, during the 'blocked' times (my example above was 11pm to 630am) the phone can only CALL OUT to the phone numbers set up in the AT&T service.  BUT THIS SO CALLED SMART LIMITS DOES NOT BLOCK ANY INCOMING CALLS??!!  

Maybe I've read the literature incorrectly? Surely?  Can someone at AT&T either:

1) Help me see that I've read the description incorrectly and, in fact, all incoming calls to the phone during blocked times are in fact blocked...except those on the list set up by a parent.

OR

2) If I have in fact read it correctly, find out why AT&T is unable to deliver a meaningful product for parental controls even tho the competitor, Verizon, has been offering one for many years.

Thanks!

Tommy

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

Verizon's Family base is not perfect.  It has never worked on iPhones, because there is no companion app for iPhone.  And there is currently no companion app for devices that upgrade to Android 6.

Neither Smart limits or Family base is a replacement for your parenting.  If they use the phone after hours, take it away.  They will tell their friends not to call or text so they don't lose their phones.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Why can't Windows be like Apple?

Why can't Ford be like Toyota?

Why can't...........

Because they are different.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Verizon's Family base is not perfect.  It has never worked on iPhones, because there is no companion app for iPhone.  And there is currently no companion app for devices that upgrade to Android 6.

Neither Smart limits or Family base is a replacement for your parenting.  If they use the phone after hours, take it away.  They will tell their friends not to call or text so they don't lose their phones.

Never thought or suggested an app was a substitute for my parenting. I simply pointed out a parenting service design that is laughable. AT&T should hire Can-Do engineers who know how to code. That's all. And we had Parental Controls on iPhones AND Android phones at Verizon, so your information is simply wrong. It worked very well. This is very simple and there are no valid excuses.They have low quality engineers with incompetents managing them. Otherwise they wouldn't release a product that only works on outgoing calls!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I still don't get why at&t doesn't have a "family base" like verizon. Save your take the phone away blabber for someone else. AT&T did not fully disclose this feature and it is a big deal to me. W/ 4 teens, I could set time limits, restrictions and the best yet...data limits as I saw fit. This was all done on iPhones. It was $5.99 a month and the option for at&t is double that but doesn't restrict data limits?? Is there another option to keep individual lines from going over on a shared plan?  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

"Neither Smart limits or Family base is a replacement for your parenting."

I get so tired of the judgmental trolls that want to parade their opinions about technology and parenting.  Let's not assume off the bat that I want to roboparent my kids.  They misuse the device and they lose it.  This seems like a given.  It does not mean I don't want safeguards for those times when "surprise!", they sneak one by.

I have an interest in doing a whitelist for my kid's phone.  "Smart Limits" only lets me do a blacklist, which is ridiculous.  I was about to switch from AT&T to Verizon for this reason only to read that FamilyBase doesn't work with the iPhones.  So, back to square one.  Next stop is jailbreaking the phone.  *sigh*

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.