Get the myAT&T app
Meemeeboo77's profile

4 Messages

Tuesday, September 5th, 2023 7:28 PM

Prepaid Jail calls

I'm very upset that I've spent money for a new phone and paid for new service to join AT&t only to find out that my brother is no longer able to call my phone. I called customer service and they told me that because it is ASSOCIATED with an a collect call that I'm not able to receive these calls.

I DO BELIEVE THIS IS A BREACH OF CUSTOMER RIGHTS! AT&T IS NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND HAS NO RIGHT TO CONTROL WHO IS CALLING MY PHONE.!

I paid for service and a phone not for them to control my phone calls! At this point I would really like to have my money back for service and this new phone that I bought! Nowhere to terms and conditions does it say that prepaid calls are not allowed. I feel like my money has been stolen because I would have never gotten this service if that was in the agreement! I've had multiple prepaid services previous to this and I received these calls just fine even on government phones.

Also whenever my brother calls it states that he has the wrong number which is not true! He has the correct phone number. They have no right telling anyone that my number is not correct when it is!

I will be filing a complaint if this is not fixed and a (Edited per community guidelines) to recover my money for AT&t services and their phone that I was TRICKED into purchasing.. THE SERVICE WAS SOLD TO ME UNDER FALSE PRETENSES. AND I WILL SUE FOR ALL THE MONEY I SPENT TO OBTAIN THIS SERVICE AND THE MONEY THAT I WILL HAVE TO PAY TO OBTAIN A LAWYER. BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO RIGHT! I'M VERY ANGRY..DEF A WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY...

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

6 months ago

I don't know why you think you couldn't receive phone calls that were prepaid with the institution. Doesn't matter whether you're prepaid or postpaid as long as you've paid for the calls through whichever prison phone system, it has nothing to do with AT&T, or any service provider. It's no different than if anyone else was calling you with phone service they paid for.

The only thing that doesn't work is collect calls. Collect calls don't work on cell providers.

Also whenever my brother calls it states that he has the wrong number which is not true! He has the correct phone number. They have no right telling anyone that my number is not correct when it is!

Most likely your number was not ported correctly. Or the port was not complete. This is not unusual when switching service providers. If you're still having problems call the port activation department

Accepted Solution

• 

93 Messages

6 months ago

Actually, it does say that.

“AT&T may also change, reduce, interrupt, suspend, limit or cancel your Wireless Service or terminate your Agreement without advance notice for any reason”

and

”We may, but does [sic] not have the obligation to, refuse to transmit any information through the Wireless Services and may screen and delete information prior to delivery of that information to you.”

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.consumerServiceAgreement.html

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

6 months ago

You can’t sue and prepaid is non refundable. 🙄

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 months ago

You also can’t receive collect calls on prepaid 

4 Messages

6 months ago

These are not collect calls. These are calls that are already paid for. I dont paid for the calls. Its like they are using a prepaid phone card to call me. I don't have to pay for the calls. 

4 Messages

6 months ago

I cant figure out how to respond to the first message, but we will see. I was tricked into getting this service. IT does not say I cant receive prepaid calls. These calls are already paid for. They are not collect calls. And they cannot control who is allowed to call my phone. They are the only company I have been with that does this. They need to state this. Being a COLLECT CALL and a prepaid call is totally different. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 months ago

@Meemeeboo77 

How were you TRICKED?

4 Messages

6 months ago

When I ended my post paid service, I was convinced to stay with AT&T by an AT&T representative. Even though I didn't ask, (because I assume like every other prepaid company, I could) No one told me I wasn't  going to be able to receive prepaid calls. I knew I couldn't receive collect calls, but these are not collect calls. So yes, I was TRICKED into thinking I would be receiving the same services as any other prepaid service out here. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm sure you guys did not make the rules, but I am looking into what I can do because its not right.. Of course some people wouldn't find this as an issue, but it is for me. I just want to be able to receive calls from my friends and family, because that is what I am paying for.

Former Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

6 months ago

You were not tricked. You clearly stated you assumed. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

6 months ago

🤦🏼‍♀️

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.