Cruisemagic's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Apr 7, 2017 5:18 AM

Offered trade in by att vs upgrade?

I noticed a message on my account saying my line is eligible for a trade in. What is the difference of this and an upgrade? It's an Ipjone 6+ on next plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

5年前

It means you have reached the upgrade with trade in point of your Next installments, but have not finished paying off the phone.  

As opposed to paying off the phone in full by finishing your installments. 

You probably owe 6 more payments.   Your phone is probably worth more than the remaining installments.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3年前

Can you clarify what you mean by “trade in points”? Is it more expensive, less expensive, or the same price if I trade in now vs after my phone is paid off? Are there advantages or disadvantages to trading in now?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.7K Messages

3年前

@lampdl When you reach your “trade in point”, the only credit you get for trading it in is you don’t have to finish paying it off. Your credit is the remaining Next payments you don’t have to make. 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

3年前

@lampdl wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by “trade in points”?  Not ‘points’, point, as in a place in time, but in this case it’s a number of required installments At&t requires before you can trade to upgrade.  

Is it more expensive, less expensive, or the same price if I trade in now vs after my phone is paid off?

No difference in cost of new phone.  The difference is you put $$$ into a phone, it may be almost paid off, and rather than keep it, you’re giving it back to At&t.  You can always pay it off and keep it, then upgrade.

Are there advantages or disadvantages to trading in now?   Depends on when ‘now’ is, and what phone.  iPhones are worth more than the remaining payments.  After 50% a Samsung is a break even, and I might consider it a fair.  I use phones one year, then sell them.  But that my choice, it doesn’t work for everyone. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3年前

Thanks so much for the details. So if I’ve got an iPhone 8 it seems like it would make the most sense to sell it on my own. Would you agree? The phone is in perfect shape with the exception of a small crack in the bottom of the glass on the BACK of the phone. The screen is in perfect shape. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.7K Messages

3年前

So if I’ve got an iPhone 8 it seems like it would make the most sense to sell it on my own. Would you agree?

Yes and make sure you get it unlocked. Unlocked phones are worth even more.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

3年前

@lampdl wrote:

Thanks so much for the details. So if I’ve got an iPhone 8 it seems like it would make the most sense to sell it on my own. Would you agree? The phone is in perfect shape with the exception of a small crack in the bottom of the glass on the BACK of the phone. The screen is in perfect shape. 

Had you mentioned the physical damage before I would have told you, you cannot trade that phone in. Any physical damage even a tiny crack means the phone could not be returned to AT&T.  (or any other carrier).   It also effects resale value.  
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1011886

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.