For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
UlysseG's profile

• 

32 Messages

Tuesday, April 26th, 2022 12:39 PM

Closed

Misrepresentation by salesperson in AT&T store

I live in France and had to travel to the US last month for a family emergency. I purchased a one-month prepaid phone at an AT&T store (store JQKP) and was told that after the one month I prepaid (I was only going to be in the US for a week) I would be able to unlock the phone and use it at home (in France). I made it clear to the salesman that I would be back home in Europe in a week and he repeated several times that there would be no problem unlocking it after the one month plus a possible waiting period of up to two weeks - that the phone belonged to me outright at the time of payment.

Once at home again I tried to unlock the phone through AT&T but I was told that I had to have prepaid 6 months of continuous service before I could unlock it. I spoke to the Prepaid customer service supervisor and he confirmed this. He also seemed to take no responsibility for what the salesman had told me.

I am extremely disappointed with this state of affairs, especially since I had been advised by family to go to AT&T rather than a cheap phone store because I could trust AT&T. And indeed, one would assume that a company like AT&T would take care not to engage in such practices in the interest of their reputation. Apparently not...

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

"Prepaid phones are always discounted, which is why they can be locked." So what does "COMMITMENT SAVINGS $0.00" mean?

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

...or doesn't it mean anything?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

ATT sells many phones, some are actually branded as prepaid phones, others are not. Prepaid phones are normally sold at a discount but not always. Whether a prepaid phone is sold at a discount or not, the 6 month requirement to unlock still applies. If you bought a phone not specifically branded as prepaid, the “no commitment” tag would waive the 60 day requirement for service if you had gotten postpaid service. Unfortunately, once a prepaid SIM card is put into any phone whether it was specifically branded as a prepaid phone or not, ATT’s system automatically applies the 6 month requirement. I believe this is a fault of ATT’s system. So, if you bought a phone not branded as prepaid and paid full retail price for it, there really is no reason for imposing a 6 month requirement but the system does anyway once activated on prepaid service.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

@UlysseG

You're being pretty harsh with the people at the AT&T corporate store. You're telling me that they would knowingly fail to inform me of the real policy in order to sell a cheap phone, and take advantage of my being a foreign resident?

That's what they did.  There is no way they don't know.  Every single employee goes to 'school' before they even hit the sales floor, to learn the basics that are required.  The lock policy is 101 material.  And because every US carrier has at least some kind of a lock policy for every single phone, it's inconceivable that they would not know. 

If that's true, then things look even worse for AT&T and their reputation.

Not every person or store lies to customers.  You are bad luck that you got one we're not only the employees but even the manager is willing to look someone in the face and tell them a bold-faced lie. 

No, I think that what happened is that I purchased the phone outright (see my comment just above) and prepaid for a month of service, and that prepayment is being construed as a kind of 6-month term agreement.

No honey, your were lied to.  The policy is for all At&t phones. 

Isn't that what the "COMMITMENT SAVINGS $0.00" means to you? Anyway to me "COMMITMENT SAVINGS $0.00" = "COMMITMENT 0".

I have actually never seen that sign and I suspect that the manager of the store made that up to bolster his untrue statements and Shady business practice.  Please make sure you confirm the address of this particular location directly to AT&T so that they can replace the store personnel with people that don't lie to customers. 

AT&T and their people need to make some things a little clearer if they don't want to look like some very sleazy operators.

Or maybe that's just the world we live in nowadays?

As I said, they are not all underhanded Liars. Unfortunately you found an entire store full.  I have no doubt that the manager is directly at fault for the behavior of his employees, and that he encourages on ethical Behavior. The best thing AY&T can do is replace everyone at that location from the top down.

It does happen. Where I live in Connecticut I am within a half an hour's Drive of about five or six AT&T corporate store locations. One of them was Notorious for having incompetent unkempt, and untrustworthy employees. That store had a change in management and a good clean out, and now is actually very good.   But it took complaints direct to get it done

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

Responding to formerly;

"I have actually never seen that sign and I suspect that the manager of the store made that up to bolster his untrue statements and Shady business practice."

Can we assume that none of the other experts on this forum has heard of the line "COMMITMENT SAVINGS $0.00" being on an invoice from AT&T?

Again you're being pretty tough on the folks at that store... Honey. After all, it's on Magazine Street, the Rodeo Drive of New Orleans. I'm not saying I don't trust you, but I prefer to wait and see if anybody knows more about that invoice line... or is willing to take some responsibility for my situation.

Meanwhile I'm posting to several other cell-phone forums to see if anyone there knows anything.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

2 years ago

suit yourself, UlysseG, but formerlyknownas knows more about AT&T wireless than 90% of the Wireless Store sales staff and a large percentage of the store managers.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

@UlysseG So what phone did you buy? Did you actually buy a prepaid phone or a “regular” phone but activated on prepaid? If the latter, that actually could explain the store employees not knowing.

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

Fine. Thanks. So you agree that the line "COMMITMENT SAVINGS $0.00" was added to the invoice at the initiative of the store manager to fool me? I find that a little far-fetched.

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

The phone I bought is a Calypso2 U319A.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

Oh well, that’s definitely a prepaid phone. You are definitely more forgiving than I would be. I don’t buy no one in the store knowing about the 6 month prepaid requirement either.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.