Get the myAT&T app

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 11:11 PM

Is there anyway to get out of a contract you never asked for?

I bought the IPhone XS Max from Walmart, the guy that was selling the phone to me said the phone is connected to AT&T. He said you can do a down payment of $800 today and pay the $200 off when you have enough money. That was the plan, he didn’t say anything about a contract or anything. That was the only thing he said. I said ok and signed the agreement papers. He said you first payment will be like $160 something dollars because of the activation fee but after that you monthly pay will be $90. I said ok, after the first month payment I started noticing that they are charging me $171. That went on for few months. I got curious and called a AT&T customer service, I told them the problem and they said that I’m being charged $171 every month because I am under a 24 month contract. My heart dropped because I never ask for a contract or was told that I’m being set on a contract. So I asked how is that possible when I didn’t sign up for a contract. I paid $800 down payment and was told to pay $200 off when I get the money to pay off the phone. The lady said “I see you paid $800 but $500 went to AT&T to start your account and $300 when to the phone down payment, so you have $640 left to pay off the phone. The only way you can get off the plan is to pay off the $640” which is crazy because the guy I bought the phone from never told me any of that. Why is $500 going to AT&T just to start an account with them? I never asked to be on a contract, the guy lied to me. Now I’m stuck on a plan I never asked for, and have no clue how to get off this contract. Does anyone know a way to get off a contract that you were put on without your permission and knowledge? Please help.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Sounds like you got ripped off by Walmart. There is no $500 charge to “start an account”. Despite what you were told, you are likely not on a 2 year contract either. You likely bought the phone on a payment plan. Your only obligation should be to pay off the phone.

• 

2 Messages

so I should pay the whole $640? Or the $200 that I was told to pay off in the first place by the guy? Because I feel like I’m paying way more than what the phone actually cost.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

Despite AT&T saying they no longer do service deposits, that's what this sounds like - a security deposit. I would suggest the OP call AT&T and ask if they are holding $500 for one year. If they Walmart person did take the money, and it was paid in cash, is there a receipt? Find it! If you have only one phone line and one phone your bill should still not be somewhere in the $200 ballpark. That's just not possible unless you have added a whole bunch more on to your AT&T plan. Please read your bill! Your AT&T bill is very detailed as to what you're being charged for. Anytime you don't pay for a phone in full upfront you have entered into a financial agreement with a cellular carrier. It is not a service contract, it is an installment sales agreement, similar to a loan.

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@lizdance40

ATT still does do deposits on service. That is actually what they did my guess is the credit check was not good so they did 500 for the deposit and 300 to the phone cost.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

4 years ago

So after you confirm at&t has the $500 as a security deposit, and READ YOR BILL, because it should not be so high. Im guessing it shouid be about $150 all in. You bill for service would be correct at about $90, installments another $25\30. So what else? insurance? a second unused line?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.