Get the myAT&T app
Kjkobe's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 4:08 AM

iMessages not being tracked by Smart Limits

Why do the iMessages not show up on the smart limits information. The only text I see on my sons smart limits page is non iMessages or another carrier.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey there @Kjkobe

I can help you with this! As iMessages take place over a data connection such as a WiFi network or cellular data, the messages are not sent via SMS.

Due to this, the messages cannot be tracked as they are included in general data usage. In order for all messages to be sent via SMS and therefore visible via Smart Limits, one option could be to disable iMessage on the device via Settings > Messages.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Wouldn't disabling iMessage on the device disable all messages and not just the person you want blocked?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Kjkobe iMessages is not texting, neither is facebook chat, skype or anything like that.

Only when the messages app is texting a non-iDevice (or when can't sense internet) does it actually send a text message.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

This is a sad answer as it removes a feature that is exclusive to the iPhone.  Why can't ATT figure out a solution that doesn't subtract from the services provided on the actual phone.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@kakasper wrote:

This is a sad answer as it removes a feature that is exclusive to the iPhone.  Why can't ATT figure out a solution that doesn't subtract from the services provided on the actual phone.  

Because they can't see inside your private messages to know they are messages to actually block them. Apple secures them for you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, I understand why they can't actually do it, but its still a sad answer to tell your customers that the way to do it is to disable a feature on  your phone. That is not acceptable.  You should advertise that Smart Limits does not function 100% on iPhones and be very specific about the areas that do not work (like on iMessages). ATT owns the broken piece of the puzzle, not Apple.  If you can't figure out a way to fix the Smart Limit program then it should be noted that for Apple customers this will be problematic.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@kakasper wrote:

Yes, I understand why they can't actually do it, but its still a sad answer to tell your customers that the way to do it is to disable a feature on  your phone. That is not acceptable.

It's the correct answer.  It's not a practical one, but it's the correct one.

You should advertise that Smart Limits does not function 100% on iPhones and be very specific about the areas that do not work (like on iMessages).  If you can't figure out a way to fix the Smart Limit program then it should be noted that for Apple customers this will be problematic.  

And skype and facebook messager? And the dozens of other programs?

Those are also NOT text message, it's chat. It functions 100% on iPhone, people just don't understand they aren't actually sending texts.

ATT owns the broken piece of the puzzle, not Apple.

Smart limits works on TEXTS. Isn't that what they advertise? 

When the iPhone sends an iMessage (iOS to iOS with a blue bubble), it is NOT a text. It's more of a chat or instant message.  APPLE has muddied the water on this, it's NOT an AT&T issue.

The same issue occurs for calls with FaceTime, Skype Calls, or other VOIP calling system, Smart Limits has no control over those systems either. Because they aren't actually phone calls.

Smart limits is likely to get even less smart as time goes on...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.