Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
shaylee's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Mon, Nov 12, 2018 3:16 AM

I am very upset with the change from AT&T Familymap to Family Secure!

I am very upset with the change from Familymap to Family Secure!!!! I have had Familymap since it began 15 years ago!! It has been a lifesaver on my nerves!!! I have referred hundreds of parents to Familymap.  I should be able to locate my child, grown or not, since I own his phone and pay the bill every month.  Alerts were sent from ATT and he knows he can be located and chooses to continue to use the phone I provide him.

As a LOYAL Att,customer who has never been with another phone carrier, I am asking that you give us the opportunity to keep the existing Familymap just as it is.  Many of us (your current customers) DO NOT want to change to Family Secure!!!!!!! We can use Find My Iphone and not pay anything if we have to have our children's permission to locate them!!!!!!! You are ruining our security in knowing our children are safe when not with us!!!!!

Please give us that courtesy and respect to keep what we have and love.  It works the way we need it to!!!!! No hassles.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

Yes, You do not have to install the Secure Family Companion App on your child’s device if you only want the legacy FamilyMap features which include Network locate, Schedule alerts and Location history. Without the Companion App installed you will not be able to use the new Secure Family features including better location accuracy (via GPS), Arrival/Departure Alerts, Pause Internet, Time Limits and Content Filtering. You can download and add the free Secure Family Companion App at any time to enable the new features.

Answer taken from here

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

Exactly what you are concerned about the app changing Shaylee? Most if not all of the features FamilyMaps included, are on Family Secure, as far as I understand the change is only branding. as shown here

(edited)

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

My concern does not have to do with branding!   I never had to pair the phone I was locating since it was on my account. I can locate my child's phone on Familymap without his permission even with location services turned off!!!  Now I can not locate him unless he allows me to by following set up directions from a text sent to his phone.This is totally different than Familymap!!! All I had to do was add him on the Familymap Account page without any contact with his phone or his permission.  I am SO upset with the new requirement in order to locate him that I can't get my nerves calmed down.I need your immediate help to keep the LOCATE feature unchanged from the way it is on Familymap.  I understand that parents who need more controls would have to pair the phones so they can have access to the child's internet use and app purchases, BUT those of us who want to ONLY continue to locate our children without the other controls should have that choice without being made to pair a phone which our children are not going to allow if given a choice!!!!!Please keep LOCATE option as it currently is.Thanks!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

Then why is the app not locating his phone now?  Can you tell me how to locate him without the companion app, etc"  Your help is much appreciated!  I have a schedule set up and when the app changed to Family Secure on my phone, I now get emails saying his phone could not be located!  When I try to locate using the app, I get location unsuccessful. 
I am still able to use the Familymap web page on my computer and had to reactivate it tonight even though I auto renew every month, but can locate on Familymap web page and the schedule still works on it as well.  I am afraid this will no longer work once you all update the web page to Family Secure.Please tell me how to use the new app to locate him without him having to give permission on his phone.Thank you in advance!

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

Just confirming, you have not been able to locate him at all ever since the change happened, correct? I haven't use the app myself, however this could be a part of the change from one app to another, since location services are being modified to accommodate the new features on the new app, however I do know it should still be able to locate from time to time.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

Another important thing, can I know the specs on your son's phone, since support has ended for some models.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

Yes that is what I am saying.  Even though I indicated on the set up that I did not need the parent control options, it has not allowed me, the parent, to locate him.  Can you escalate this to someone who can fix the problem for myself and other upset parents with this change. Or if I need to do something different as far as using the app please let me know. 

I have stayed with ATT for the past 15 years because of Familymap, even though phone reception is better here with other carriers.  I want to continue with ATT and Familymap as it has worked up until now. 
Please help us!!!!!
Who can I contact to discuss this further?  The staff there should always try out all the features so they can make sure the app and program is working the way it was intended to work.
I appreciate your help with this urgent matter!  My child is 2000 miles away from home and this gives me peace when I can locate his phone and know is in a safe environment.Please help me!

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

I'm not sure there is a way to escalate an issue like this, as technical support agents do not provide support to apps, maybe you can contact the developer through the App store/Play store, I understand the concern of a mother, and I wish I had more of an accurate answer on who to contact, however I'm not sure if there is even one. Back to the question I made above, what device is your son using, has he made any changes to his device from his end?

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

He uses an iphone 8Plus.  He has not made any changes to the phone.  I currently can go onto my computer to Familymap sign in web page and still locate him from the computer.  It's the new app that is not locating him.  I am concerned the web page will change too and I will be without a way to locate him.

Are you part of the technical support team for the people who has made the changes to the APP (FamilySecure)?  I don't understand how we as customers can not get our concerns to the developers of Family Secure.There has to be someone who can help us and get the App working like the old one for those of us who only want to locate, schedule and history. 
Please tell me what to do to get my concerns heard from the developers.Thank you

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

I'm not part of the tech support team, however I do work for AT&T and like helping people with knowledge, as mentioned, you can contact the developer of the app through the App or Play store (depends on your Operating system Android or Apple) there is a button that says "Contact the developers" for you to write an e-mail to them, this is the first time I see this issue as well, in order to properly solve it some troubleshooting would have to be done on both your end, and your son's end.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

I will call tech support at ATT to see if they can advise me on how to make this work.  I read on the app FAQ list and it says I don't have to install the companion app to get a location.  Apparently my app isn't working correctly or I need to learn how to operate it.Thanks for your help.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

3 y ago

I highly doubt tech support can do anything about it, even more since the app isn't fully rolled out yet (it will be fully released and completed by November 14) knowing people you will get the runaround, my advice is to wait for developer notes to address this issue (there is another post about someone with the same issue as you, so it seems to be growing in attention), or to do what we discussed above, contacting them directly through the e-mail. It's better to be patient than getting more frustrated with answer that will not solve you problem.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I have been having the same exact problem since last night when mine was rolled over from the previous family app. I did get the companion app on my younger son’s phone & it still doesn’t work. I’m also extremely upset. I too only want the locate feature without all the other features they are offering & I do not want to have the companion app downloaded onto their phones. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

3 y ago

Why not keep Familymap as is and add Family Secure as an option for those who want it?
Who can we contact to not lose what we currently have?
Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.