Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Dec 23, 2017 5:39 PM

I added the International Day Pass. Does this mean I should turn Data Roaming On?

I am about to head to Europe for a brief bit and added the International Day Pass. I figured, Im there for 6 days, and want to use the Internet when Im out and about. What was not explained was what settings need to be on for me to access cellular data out in Europe.

Normally I have unlimited Data, talk and text, so my understanding was I would have access to that abroad.

Should I turn on Cellular Data AND Data Roaming? Specifically I am asking about the Data Roaming, beacuse Ive heard more than enough horror stories of people coming back to huge bills.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

33.9K Messages

2 years ago

@EvenNotOdd Either one turned off will prevent data usage but with only data roaming off, you are still able to receive MMS messages. An incoming message does not trigger the $10 daily charge.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

69.3K Messages

8 months ago

@TinaTX wrote:

This may be something that ATT should be contacted on to verify.  I thought that's the way it worked too but then I have an additional $25 charge for data roaming for 3 days in addition to the $10 for each of those 3 days. I just noticed this tonight so I have not had the chance to call and find out what the deal is with these charges yet myself.  Will try to update if I find out. 

You can call At&t free from outside the USA  +1.314.925.6925

If you connect to a tower in a non day pass country, or on a plane, you will get roaming charges.   It’s a good idea to data roaming off unless you need it.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

33.9K Messages

3 years ago

Yes, you need both cellular data and data roaming on to use data. Since you have the day pass, you won't have any huge bills, just the $10 charge plus taxes and fees each day that you have chargeable usage. If there are any days you don't want to pay the $10 charge and don't need to use data, turn data roaming off. That will prevent you from getting the $10 charge without intending to.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Would I have to turn both roaming and data off or does just one or the other work (I.e turn data off leave roaming on)?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

So, either turned off avoids the charge, but with roaming off I can still receive messages with photos and videos as well as calls?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I just can't respond to the message without being charged correct?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

This may be something that ATT should be contacted on to verify.  I thought that's the way it worked too but then I have an additional $25 charge for data roaming for 3 days in addition to the $10 for each of those 3 days. I just noticed this tonight so I have not had the chance to call and find out what the deal is with these charges yet myself.  Will try to update if I find out.