Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Aug 17, 2014 5:57 PM

How do I get a specific phone number with ATT?

Hello, I would like to get a specific phone number from ATT. I checked on their website http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/transferyournumber.html that such number is "Eligible for transfer". Is it possible to request a specific phone number even though I have not owned this number before?

Responses

Sqrounddancer

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

6 years ago

No you can only request area code they will pull up a few numbers then you can choose one out of them.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

6 years ago

A rep at att store did not know she could order a number from a different area on my account i am in 209 i got one back east for a family member on my account she lives here but needed another area. The rep said it couldn't be done i thought it could so she tried and it was done.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

My experience is the same.  You go through their whole sign-up process and you get to pick from about 9 numbers at the very end. It is awful.  You would think in this day and age of automation they could let you pick from a larger list.  This is myopic. A phone number is part of your identity. My gut feeling is this is an indicator of the type of service you can expect if you have a problem. I thought "take it or leave it" went out with the 1960s.  I guess AT&T thinks this is still the "Ma Bell" days. 

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Why does everyone in the cell phone industry love to lie and spread rumors? You can 100% pick a specific number if it is available, not just area code. They tell you only area codes can be picked because they are very lazy and do not want to do their job. Picking an area code is very easy. Then they make you pick one of the 10 numbers listed below. They can pick a specific number for you, but 99% of them will refuse and pretend to not know. 

Get started...

Ask a new question