Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Mar 21, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Texasmomof4

@sholmes1027

Im in Connecticut, half an hour from Hartford, in the burbs, and have the same complaint.  Over a year ago service declined.  A few weeks ago my reception at home became unusable for calls.

It has a lot to do with the 2G shut down, although that didn't happen till January 1.  My understanding is 2G service was long range, 3G less so, and LTE even more short range.  So faster, but only if it gets to you.  😒  

I decided I would have to switch back to (choke) Verizon at $50 more a month.   I did what I did 3.5 years ago - I moved one line to check service.  Verizon was just as bad.  No voice at home.   Poor data speed.  Side by side ATT and Verizon were about the same in any location.

Not worth another $50 a month.

So I bought a car booster for $250, and a used microcell for $100.  They will pay for themselves in 7-8 months.  My call quality is 5 bars at home.   I can make calls and use data in places I had unusable service before.   

I can also recommend phones with stronger antennas, like the Nexus series and Google Pixel.  These phones are still able to make calls in very poor service areas where my Samsung cannot without the booster.  

Apps like Coverage Map and websites like Open Signal may show if another carrier has better service by location.  It may not be up to date if service has suddenly declined. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

you cant "lose bars of service" by simply changing a plan. You seem to misunderstand how cell phones work. They work off radio signals just like a walkie talkie. All you have changed is your data plan. Your SIGNAL or "bars" is still a reflection of how close you are to a cell tower and/or obstructions of said RF waves. That is completely independent of your "plan".

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I found this thread because I too have a plan where I am grandfathered in with unlimited data. I was actually trying to find out what exactly tethering to a mobile hotspot meant because it appeared there was a limit on this on the newer unlimited plans being offered.

So, I guess my question is, how does a mobile hotspot differ from using my unlimited cellular data when WiFi is unavailable (such as in my car)?

Also, I've just recently begun experiencing frustrating issues with the WiFi connectivity on my phone, as well as noticeably slower cellular data speeds. I have not changed phones, carriers (at & t) or plans since theses issues have started occurring. I thought I'd mention that because I too am wondering if everyone purchasing these unlimited data plans has caused the network to become overloaded and thus the answer to the suddenly slower cellular speeds. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

3 years ago

@FranFam

To address the question in reverse:   It is possible that giving access to unlimited data to so many mor people has indeed overloaded towers.  

Wifi connectivity has nothing to do with ATT cell service.  It's strictly a function of the phone and your home internet.  If the phone only has a problem connecting to some wifi, not others, then it's not the phone.  If other phones connect to wifi easily, but yours won't, it's a fault in the phone.  If the phone in question is and iPhone, I've had the same problem and fixed it by backing up to computer, erasing the phone, and restoring.  In some cases more than once to get the wifi working again.  

Tethering:  Tethering or using your phone as a wifi hotspot means your phone can share is connection with a wifi only device.  Just like your home internet, it has a 'name' and a password and connects to the phone in the same way.  The use of the hotspot is limited to 10 gigs of full speed then is throttled to 2G speed.  This is included as part of the 22 gigs before your line is reprioritized.  (So you could tether 10 gigs to wifi tablets in the car for the kids, and another 12 for video on the phone before your service is reprioritized)

If you are having slow service and suspect it's congestion, there is no better time to shop around for another service provider.   

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

3 years ago

FranFam wrote:

So, I guess my question is, how does a mobile hotspot differ from using my unlimited cellular data when WiFi is unavailable (such as in my car)?

I think you are confusing a mobile hotspot device with using your phone as a hotspot. There is no reason to connect your phone to a hotspot device rather than use the unlimited cellular data. However, using your phone as a mobile hotspot allows other devices to use your phone's cellular data connection. You can not do that on your grandfathered plan but you can on the unlimited plus plan but with a monthly 10GB limit.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you very much for the helpful and informative answer. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, I was definitely confused. 😕 LOL  Although I think I may now have a slightly better understanding. Our case is we have (2) iPhones on an old (grandfathered) unlimited data plan with 550 Family Shared talk/rollover minutes. Other than the recent WiFi issues (on my phone) only and slower cellular speed, this has always worked out fine for us. We also have an iPad and my daughter has an iPod and each of those only work off of WiFi. 

So are you saying if I had a plan with a mobile hotspot, that our iPad or my daughter's iPod could then have internet access- say in the car?  Also, the 10GB limit- is that generous for a kid who is always wanting to listen to Pandora, be on YouTube Kids, or on Musical.ly?  What happens when you reach the 10GB limit?  Are you notified and then charged if you go over?

Do you personally feel the old AT & T unlimited plan is worth keeping anymore?  I'm hesitant to move from AT & T because I've never had reception issues with them, and  I've been with them since the early 90's!  I've also read a lot of posts from people who swear their speed slowed down significantly after changing to AT & T's new "Unlimited Plus" plan. 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@FranFam wrote:

So are you saying if I had a plan with a mobile hotspot, that our iPad or my daughter's iPod could then have internet access- say in the car?  Also, the 10GB limit- is that generous for a kid who is always wanting to listen to Pandora, be on YouTube Kids, or on Musical.ly?  What happens when you reach the 10GB limit?  Are you notified and then charged if you go over?

Yes. They can use iPod Touch and iPad (even a laptop) with the hotspot built in to your phone. 

10GB is quite a bit, but video will semi-quickly eat through it. (You can turn on something called streamsaver which will compress the video and make it take less data).

After 10GB, it is supposed to slow down to super slow speeds (NO extra charges). I actually don't think they are enforcing the slowdown yet.

Do you personally feel the old AT & T unlimited plan is worth keeping anymore?  I'm hesitant to move from AT & T because I've never had reception issues with them, and  I've been with them since the early 90's!  I've also read a lot of posts from people who swear their speed slowed down significantly after changing to AT & T's new "Unlimited Plus" plan. 

You'll have the same reception with the new plan. I think it's psychological, on the old plan and it slows down, no big deal, on the new plan if you notice it's slow, it must be the new plan's fault! Some people switched to the CHOICE plan (which is slower) and just complain it's the new plan that's slower.

Not worth keeping unless the old plan is cheaper for you (most discounts don't apply to the new plans). Personally, I think the hotspot would make it worth paying more.

They new plan for two phones is $145 is you set up the autopay discount (debit or checking), $10 more if you don't do it. The actual phones and taxes and fees are not included in that price.

Additional lines are $20 a month (plus the taxes/fees).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

3 years ago

@FranFam wrote:

No, the old plan is no longer worth keeping unless it is costing you significantly less and in your case, I bet the new plan would actually cost you less. In addition to the hotspot, you also get free roaming in Canada and Mexico plus free HBO. As for those claiming their speeds slowed down, yeah I've seen those posts too and can't explain it. A plan change should not cause speeds to change and plenty of people have confirmed their speeds on the new plan are just as fast as their old plan.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

3 years ago

@FranFam  

Gotta say I'm glad you are asking these questions before making any changes.   I did a lot of research before switching to ATT.   Reception issues had me checking other carriers again recently.  It's really hard to get accurate, simple descriptions of what is offered and how much it will reallly cost from any carrier.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

😊

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks so much because I have been pondering this for 3 days and was about to switch but my instinct told me to search for more info. This was very helpful because the sales guy told me he was going to remove me from my plan even against my wishes. I'll be visiting another store!
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Vylaka

The sales guy gets his quota met if he can get you to change plans or buy something new.  Always get a second opinion.   

phissith

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Don't let at&t screw with you grandfather plans.  Apparently, I just found out that though you can drop a line in Grandfather plan and the plan still be intact once the phone that belongs to Grandfather is canceled, you can't have it back again.  Even if you add a new line to your Family Grandfather plan, that new number will not get it.    So, a lesson the number is what really matter, once it is canceled you will lose it forever!

phissith

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Don't let at&t screw with you grandfather plans.  Apparently, I just found out that though you can drop a line in Grandfather plan and the plan still be intact once the phone that belongs to Grandfather is canceled, you can't have it back again.  Even if you add a new line to your Family Grandfather plan, that new number will not get it.    So, a lesson the number is what really matter, once it is canceled you will lose it forever!

Get started...

Ask a new question