For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
uede915's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

The speeds went down. Videos always buffer. I wish I never switched!!! I want to switch back. I would not recommend this to a friend with grandfather.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Redman123123 wrote:
I made the switch and my service and speed has been off ever since. I recommend you don't switch over. My phone use to NEVER buffer not it buffers all the time. I turned off the data saver by the way so I know that's not it. Don't switchover keep what you have.

Which plan did you switch to? (Please be specific with the plan name).

Thanks!

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

If your speeds changed you went to unlimited choice. Unlimited plus is identical

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I have the plan with the faster speed and hotspot capabilities, whatever they call it. I know it's the more expensive plan. The speeds are not the same, I had the grandfathered plan long enough to know. They are throttling the data on this new plan and it is very obvious. I keep hearing that the speed is the same but it is not- period.

I'm removing myself from this forum because talking in circles is getting old. Good luck everyone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I have to agree with @Redman123123, my conmection/service has gone way way down since switching from my grandfather plan to the unlimited plan. If I'm not on wifi, I might as well forget catching up on anything that needs internet connection while out and about or searching for anything. i can't even get home if I were lost driving somewhere. It's very frustrating and irritating

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Kdzmatmo wrote:
I have to agree with @Redman123123, my conmection/service has gone way way down since switching from my grandfather plan to the unlimited plan. If I'm not on wifi, I might as well forget catching up on anything that needs internet connection while out and about or searching for anything.

Which unlimited plan?

It really makes no sense. All AT&T postpaid plans (not GoPhone) should be the same speed (except choice). The old grandfathered unlimited has the same restrictions as the new Unlimited Plus plan and should run at the same speed for the first 22GB.

That said, AT&T has sold a LOT of unlimited plans lately. This could be overtaxing a lot of the towers even for normal speed depending on where you are. If this is the issue, then this would have been a problem even if you'd kept the old plan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

To my surprise! Yes it doesn't make sense. And I am a person of reason. I work hard for what I have, I am willing to dish out money for good things but I am just disappointed in the lack of speed in which I now currently have. Maybe there is no correlation with switching from my old grandfathered unlimited plan from 12 years ago. I'm simply stating that now that I switched to the new unlimited choice plus plan, it's terrible. And if I could go back to the way things where I would be grateful.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Kdzmatmo wrote:
To my surprise! Yes it doesn't make sense. And I am a person of reason. I work hard for what I have, I am willing to dish out money for good things but I am just disappointed in the lack of speed in which I now currently have. Maybe there is no correlation with switching from my old grandfathered unlimited plan from 12 years ago. I'm simply stating that now that I switched to the new unlimited choice plus plan, it's terrible. And if I could go back to the way things where I would be grateful.

Well of course it's slower.  You selected the Choice plan which specifically says it is throttled at 3 mbps speed.   You want the plus plan.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

IMG_5813.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

I changed from the old grandfathered unlimited plan to the new unlimited plus plan and ran speed tests on several sites and have not seen any decrease in speed from these tests. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.