Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Mar 21, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

Responses

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

RA1129,

Not sure if your last post was directed at me, but yes I have the Unlimited PLUS multi line plan, previously had two lines of grandfathered unlimited data on rollover minute family plans. Yes, you are absolutely correct in stating that there are many variables as far as cellular connections (tower used, peak times, users connected, etc), I don't discount these, however I think it unlikely that my issues arose immediately afterwards and have remained consistent is a mere coincidence. Note, that I was not aggressively "testing" before or even afterwards as I was under the impression it was the same plan, same speeds, same connection priority, etc (I only changed for the tethering, free HBO, directv savings, and price reduction). I only started "testing" more so as soon as I noticed everything was buffering/slower in the SAME spot/and times while at work (where I would notice it most). This has been consistent for the last two weeks. I can appreciate that YOU don't have a problem in south Florida but unless you have testing with 373,726 other users verifying your assertions, you are just one sample (as am I). But I have still come to MY conclusion there is something different in the way the network handles the two plans. I will try and do a sim swap from ATT as well, as this may re-register me on the network correctly somehow (although I doubt this)... I don't know.Things I have tried: turned stream saver back on (I turned it off the first day with in the first hour of changing plans) and toggling stream saver back off a couple hours later, each time performing a hard reset on my phone after 5 minutes. I've called ATT tech support (was also calling about the lack of attwifi connection i previously had), they had me perform a network settings reset (which i had already attempted several times before) and they claimed to send a reregister signal (forgot the exact term they used) when it was restarting. That actually seemed to help the first time they tried it but a couple days later it was the same. I will post back if/when I try a new sim as doubtful as I am that will do anything.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Agreed different places in the country completely different experiences and as far as Att tech support it's hit or miss sometimes you get someone knowledgeable and sometimes you get someone who hasn't a clue. Good luck
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

It is the same connection and potential speeds, signal strength, etc as the grandfathered unlimited plan. There is zero difference.

All technical aspects of a phone's connection to the network are identical on Unlimited Plus, retired DirecTV unlimited, Mobile Share Advantage (under the allocation on full speed data) and grandfathered unlimited. Only the prices are different and provisioning in billing system. Otherwise in the systems that dictate technical aspects....all the same. Prepaid and Unlimited Choice are different of course but we're comparing U. Plus and grandfathered here. No difference.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

For what it's worth, I went ahead and signed up for Unlimited Plus, dropping the grandfathered plan after ~10 years. A scary plunge, to be certain. Happy to report that there seems to be no conceivable difference in speed or service. That said, the weeks before I made the switch and a couple of weeks after, my iPhone 6S was crapping the bed, and by the end it simply refused to connect to the network whatsoever. I took it into Apple to have the battery replaced, and when that didn't fix the problem they outright replaced the phone. So it's possible I had gotten so used to my crappy iPhone connection that anything seems better by comparison. But I've had this phone for over a year and a half now, and I don't think these speeds are any different than what I had the preceding 18+ months. So for me, in the Los Angeles area, consider the connection speeds between the Grandfathered plan and the new Unlimited Plus plan a wash. I'll update if anything changes.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Sounds like there is a big trust issue with AT&T.  There should be no guess work.  This could be resolved easily with AT&T providing a performance guarantee whereby offering those who switched to the plus plan the option to go back to their original grandfathered plan should the customer experience an issue in performance (due to the switch) on a limited basis if needed. Why is this so difficult AT&T???  Those on the grandfathered plan currently are some of the most loyal higher paying customers.  Appears that there is always an angle being worked.  Be transparent, be fair and put the customer first.  This approach always wins.  I also wonder why AT&T does not allow the grandfathered population the option to tether (even limited tethering).  Again, anything to get folks off the plan.

It's really all about proving a superior customer experience, right?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

4 years ago

@Rcast1986 Is having exactly the experience he should.  There is not speed difference between the Plus and old unlimited.  

@AMC11223   While ATT is not giving a guarantee, there have been several who switched because the were told (incorrectly) they would have their employee discount.  They were switched back without a problem (although annoyed).   No delay in changing back is advised.  A week or two at most.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

Actually they're not the higher paying customers. In any industry prices wouldn't be increased if revenue generated was equal or on par to the other accounts in relation to amount of network resources used. I'm just speaking as another customer here but in my experience, the remaining grandfathered unlimited plans are customers who don't do upgrades with the carrier (a huge generator of revenue), ported out non-unlimited lines to other carriers and remove texting features and other bolt-ons that went with FamilyTalk and Nation plans.

There is no different in performance either. Regardless of plan data speeds are the same (postpaid, not prepaid) unless someone is throttled on Mobile Share Advantage or on Unlimited Choice which is capped. Unlimited Plus, DirecTV Unlimited, Mobile Share Value, Mobile Share Advantage....all the exact same connection types, technology and allocation of network bandwidth.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I would challenge that in that they (we) are most likely higher paying from a lifetime value standpoint (talking duration here).  I have personally been a customer for over 23 years. Again, if there is not difference then AT&T should not have any issue reverting those who try it to their original plan if they choose.  I think the loyalty alone has earned that right and that is the point here.  CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.  The mere fact that once a customer switches, they can't go back is suspect.  Again, a trust issue.  I also tried the Direct TV bundle.  It was such a nightmare, I paid a few hundred dollars to get out of it (per the contract).    

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

They do allow employer discounts now but only on the plan so Plus $115 - xx% FAN discount but not the additional $20/per line you have on your plan.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@cdp1276 wrote:

They do allow employer discounts now but only on the plan so Plus $115 - xx% FAN discount but not the additional $20/per line you have on your plan.

When did they start doing that?

They were only doing Military/Veteran (and AT&T) for Unlimited Plans, are you saying they are doing other employer discounts now?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I was on with a supervisor today as AT&T refused to add the International Day Plan to my account as they claim it can only be added to the newer data plans. I challenged them that no where in the fine print does it exclude the plan that I'm on but they refused to add it. When she was pushing me to change to the Unlimited Plus plan so she could add it, we walked through the prices and for me it was $115 for the plus plan and she said my % discount would only be applied to that amount but would be honored.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@cdp1276 wrote:

When she was pushing me to change to the Unlimited Plus plan so she could add it, we walked through the prices and for me it was $115 for the plus plan and she said my % discount would only be applied to that amount but would be honored.

I do NOT believe that you will get the discount. (Unless you are military/veteran or AT&T related).

PLEASE check your bill when you get your first full month bill with this plan.

(I'd be happy to be wrong, please come back and let us know).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

4 years ago

@cdp1276   @Gary L Is correct.  You don't get employee discounts on the unlimited plans...no way, no how.  

The day pass is available to Accounts with a Mobile Share plan or an ATT unlimited data plan.  Old nationwide or Family Share plans are not eligible.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the grandfather service & we have been considering switching hence the reason I am reading these posts, but lately my internet & bars have been awful! I have no idea what's going on but it's been in the last few months & we haven't changed anything!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Same here and I'm also in Texas (rural South East Texas). My service dropped off considerably about a year ago and so far, no one I have spoken with at AT&T has been able to give me an answer. One guy told me to change carriers, one spoke down to me and told me that I couldn't expect better service living in the woods (despite me telling his twice that I'd had excellent AT&T service for years, up until last summer.) One supervisor at least spent time with me trying to figure it out. 

I'd be curious to know if you are in my same area.

Get started...

Ask a new question