Get the myAT&T app
uede915's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I've had the unlimited data plan since the first day. They've been trying to get me to give that up for years. Well, they finally got me to switch to the Unlimited Plus for family and let me tell you. It is MUCH slower and we lost 1 to 2 bars of reception– everywhere! This is the worst service I've ever experienced and they're not fooling anyone.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Changing your plan should have no affect on coverage or speeds. There has to be a different reason. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Agreed.  The plan should have exactly the same service.  Call 611 and ask what's up with speed.

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I called and I went over all of our settings with them over the phone and they could not figure it out. They opened an investigation last week and I have not heard back. BTW– they are not very helpful and don't seem to know much.

This problem started the minute after I switched plans and restarted our phones. There is a huge difference in speed and coverage. We literally lost two bars of coverage (on every phone) and when my wife uses her cell at home it sounds like she's under water. It never did that before. I used to leave my wifi off because the data transfer from the tower was so fast. Now, it takes forever to buffer and sometimes won't connect at all.

Time to switch to another carrier.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I called and I went over all of our settings with them over the phone and they could not figure it out. They opened an investigation last week and I have not heard back. BTW– they are not very helpful and don't seem to know much.

Check your stream saver settings, that might have kicked on when you switched plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am in the same boat. I'm grandfathered and the agent yesterday told me that unlimited choice would not slow me down and it is the exact same as I have now. He even gave me his agent id number and told me to copy our script because I was skeptical. Well, according to what you are saying, it is in fact slower than what I have and he is a liar right? And the plus plan is not slower, but the same as what I have now?

I'm trying to decide because it would at least give my wife unlimited as well and be the same price for us if we switch to plus.

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I have the plus plan and it is definitely slower than before. I never used wifi because the data transfer speeds with the phone service were much faster than wifi. I tested my service against wifi all of the time just to be sure. It's hard to believe but true. Also, all three of our phones lost one to two bars of service wherever we are. Both my wife and my son said there was something wrong with their phones the day after we switched. Are we all crazy?

It's bizarre and I know some people think that it doesn't make sense but I am very in tune with my phone. I've had an iPhone since day one and I'm on it all day long.

The service is not the same. I understand how the data transfer can be throttled down but I don't understand the loss of reception.

At&T is pulling a fast one.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@1greatdad wrote:
I have the plus plan and it is definitely slower than before. I never used wifi because the data transfer speeds with the phone service were much faster than wifi. I tested my service against wifi all of the time just to be sure. It's hard to believe but true. Also, all three of our phones lost one to two bars of service wherever we are. Both my wife and my son said there was something wrong with their phones the day after we switched. Are we all crazy?

It's bizarre and I know some people think that it doesn't make sense but I am very in tune with my phone. I've had an iPhone since day one and I'm on it all day long.

The service is not the same. I understand how the data transfer can be throttled down but I don't understand the loss of reception.

At&T is pulling a fast one.

@Anonymous

dont buy it...  I had a MS plan switch to unlimited plus and service is the same.  Now there could be a tower down for change over.  Have you call CS to see?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

According to my talk with an AT&T rep, the lower tier unlimited plan is
slower and only allows up to 480p video. It includes unlimited to Canada
and Mexico and comes with 10GB of hotspot (which the grandfathered plan
does not). The more expensive plan has the same speed as the grandfathered
plan (up to 22GB/month) but also includes Canada/Mexico and the 10gb
hotspot.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@danc13 The lower tier plan (unlimited choice) does not include hotspot. Only the unlimited plus includes hotspot.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.