Get the myAT&T app
Riamia1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 2:40 PM

Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

Please help!  The family map service is giving a message of "not able to locate" one of the numbers on my plan.. . It is an iphone 5 and we were able to locate this number before the phone/software upgrade.  The phone is on and in clear range.  It seems like a glitch with the new iPhone software.  Is there a fix out there? 

Thanks in advance!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

What stops the teen from uninstalling or deleting the companion app?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Sprint iPhones are CDMA.  AT and T are GSM.  The different technologies must be why.  T-Mobile uses GSM?  Can Tmobile do it without a companion app?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@fredschulz wrote:

Sprint iPhones are CDMA.  AT and T are GSM.  The different technologies must be why.  T-Mobile uses GSM?  Can Tmobile do it without a companion app?

Probably because t-mobile does not appear to offer that ability

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@fredschulz wrote:

What stops the teen from uninstalling or deleting the companion app?

Nothing, just like nothing prevents them from turning of GPS locating on the phones that do not need a companion app

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Still.....had I known this was going to be an issue, I would not have upgraded my son's phone to the iphone5.  As parents, we rely on this app, especially when we know they are traveling lenghty distances.  What is the problem and why won't they fix it?  Why are there no answers on this.  Installing a check-in app is very poor, in my opinion.  Maybe AT&T is not the right choice!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

does this work?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@dak1217 wrote:
does this work?

the 5 still requires the app, suspect that IOS 7 will break a lot of things. What I find interesting is that on ANY iphone the family map locating proceedure can be turned off app install or not, all the user has to do is turn off locating services and family map will not locate the device. the daughter did that once on her iphone, phone was taken away and she was grounded for a month.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

The family map app still works if they turn off the locating services. It totally overrides it that is why it is a great app up until this point. My kids keep their locating services off and they can still be tracked on all the iPhones except iPhone 5 which cannot be tracked anymore. I cannot understand why after almost a year, they cannot correct the problem. No one will even answer these comments from ATT. They should at least have common courtesy to let us know what the problem is. Answer some questions here guys????? When the new iPhone comes out this fall will the app work without the companion app. As you can see NO ONE WANTS TO INSTALL THE COMPANION APP We a want the family app to work as it did from inception in 2010. With each new upgrade of my kids phones from the 3 up to 4s it worked upon activation. So answer the questions?? Why is it not working. With the 5? Why is it approaching 1 year and it still has not been corrected? Why are you frustrating all these people enough to have them return the iPhone 5??? Why does ATT not care enough to update us on any future date of correction??? Most importantly will it work with the release of The new iPhone and do you even care. If its not going to work with the 5 or next iPhone no one will b able to use the app anymore and it will be obsolete. So give the people what they want - the family app as it wax with no "check in companion." What is so difficult? Please respond as everyone wants an answer!!!!!!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cheech328 wrote:
The family map app still works if they turn off the locating services. It totally overrides it that is why it is a great app up until this point. My kids keep their locating services off and they can still be tracked on all the iPhones except iPhone 5 which cannot be tracked anymore. I cannot understand why after almost a year, they cannot correct the problem. No one will even answer these comments from ATT. They should at least have common courtesy to let us know what the problem is. Answer some questions here guys????? When the new iPhone comes out this fall will the app work without the companion app. As you can see NO ONE WANTS TO INSTALL THE COMPANION APP We a want the family app to work as it did from inception in 2010. With each new upgrade of my kids phones from the 3 up to 4s it worked upon activation. So answer the questions?? Why is it not working. With the 5? Why is it approaching 1 year and it still has not been corrected? Why are you frustrating all these people enough to have them return the iPhone 5??? Why does ATT not care enough to update us on any future date of correction??? Most importantly will it work with the release of The new iPhone and do you even care. If its not going to work with the 5 or next iPhone no one will b able to use the app anymore and it will be obsolete. So give the people what they want - the family app as it wax with no "check in companion." What is so difficult? Please respond as everyone wants an answer!!!!!!

interesting and somewhat innaccurate, if it works with gps locating off then it uses tower triangulation, which has a very poor accuracy rating.

What the questions answerd - ask apple what they changed in the build out and design of the phone, since the IOS is that is running on the 4/4s/5 but probably will be the same that will ship on the rumored 5S. If you have to ask what is so difficult then you have never done any programming.

As far as will it work with out the app on the next release of the phone, or even will the app work on the IOS 7, only will know when all of it hits the streets, the NDA has not been lifted so any reputable developer will not answer that since it could mean loss of their developers license and if the company they work for is reputable, loss of their job

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

No I gave not done any programming but I am a consumer of a product and an app. If the app is sold to the consumer it should work. And although the GPS locating services are off on my kids phones it still locates them within a few block radius which is fine for me - better than not able to locate at all! I understand they cannot answer some questions. However, they are not even trying to correct the problem. Normally, technical support can help or work on rectifying the problem but no one will touch this issue. I really do not care about their procedures or rules. As a consumer it should work and they should be doing something to satisfy all of these people. If not, they will have no consumers and those same people will be out of a job anyway. The census seems to be that more people are annoyed that the app does not work. This is a way to help protect their children. All I am sayi g is give the people what they want!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.