Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
T

• 

9 Messages

Fri, Sep 18, 2020 5:31 AM

Cellular’s New 5G Service; Will It Really Be Better?

I have done a little research & learned that although it may give the fastest connections on earth, it may be subject to more signal interference. That may pose a bit of a problem once the world starts getting on board, but my guess is that 4G will still be around to revert to if there is a connection problem. What are other people’s thoughts?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.6K Messages

a month ago

5G is not necessarily going to be faster (mmwave) in the long run, it's just going to provide more access. Some people have referred to it as like going from a two-lane road 2 an 8 Lane superhighway (wideband) . 

For the purposes of understanding, 4G on AT&T network is actually somewhere more like 3  1/2 G speed service and that service is going to go away. What you will need to have is LTE. 

2g was slow, but very long range.  3g, slow, still long range.   LTE is much faster, but less range.  5g has different types, best to read about here About 5g

As you read the article you'll notice that different carriers are deploying different 5g tech.  I'm sure it has something to do with why the cost a phones is so extreme oh, and why 5G phones from one network may not work on 5G with another Network. It's going to take some time before all this shakes out in the best way for the consumer. Meanwhile the only one making the big bucks are the people who are putting up all the technology on the towers and making $1,500 phones. 

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

No LTE and 4G are not the same thing when talking about it in the USA since they let carriers call hspa+ aka 3.5G by 4G.

5G comes in 3 flavors LOW band which is band N5 with ATT which is repurposed band 5 LTE and Band 5 3g.

Then you have mid band which att is not deploying yet only T mobile is since they got the spectrum when they bought Sprint.  ATT does have mid band holdings and will deploy sometime.

Then you have High Band aka mmWave tech.  Short short range but very very fast its being deployed by all carriers in big cities.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

LTE is what I meant to say when I said “4G”; but aren’t they the same thing?

Get started...

Ask a new question