Get the myAT&T app
M

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 11th, 2021 5:12 PM

Can an ATT Customer Keep a US Number While in Mexico (or Canada)?

Hi,

I am a US resident AT&T customer with Unlimited Extra as wireless plan.  I am considering snowbirding (or more) to Mexico.  

One of the features of my plan is, "Enjoy unlimited talk, text, and data use in Mexico and Canada...."    There are restrictions on data speeds, etc.  For the context of my question, however, I am mostly concerned with talk.  I want to keep my number with AT&T so that relatives can reach me easily, I can call the bank, I can stay in contact at work, etc.   In short, I want to keep the US number and not have to deal with porting to an MVNO etc.  I am very happy with AT&T.  I will have a local number and data plan for daily use.  I am not calling other foreign countries.  

At one point, carriers placed a limit on roaming in Canada and Mexico as a percentage of total usage.  However, when I look at the customer agreement for my Unlimited plan, it states that the plan covers use in AT&T's "North American Coverage Area," and the area in Mexico where I will be is within that area.   I can view it on AT&T's coverage map.   Some plan features are restricted to AT&T's "Domestic Coverage Area" which is basically the US, but, again, I have "unlimited talk, text, and data," in Canada and Mexico and I will be within the "North American Coverage Area."   (Not all of Canada or Mexico is within that area.)    I know AT&T has a presence in Mexico, if that makes a difference.  

Does this mean that I can keep my number indefinitely or will I one day get cut off?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Your plan covers usage in Mexico and Canada, no need to change anything. There used to be restrictions on usage, they have been removed. I am actually in Mexico now and connected to ATT Mexico. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Wow...that is great.  Can I ask for how long you have been in Mexico without this being an issue?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.