Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get the myAT&T app
Gurx33's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, May 22nd, 2017 10:38 PM

ATT Multi-Device Protection Pack is a scam

I've been paying $35 for months for the Multi-Device Protection Pack.  At the time the ATT rep explained that with this I could repair/replace 3 devices with a "low deductible".   So the other day my wife dropped her Iphone 7 Plus and the screen cracked.    Started a claim with Asurion.   Lets mention right here that ATT does not protect or warranty any products, but leave that to Asurion which is a partnered company for postpaid phones insurance.   Now Asurion doesn't care whats wrong with your device, they flat out charge you a "low deductible" to send you a replacement phone.   The deductible for my wife's Iphone 7 plus, $225.    Took it to the apple store, and to replace the screen through apple out of warranty, $149.  Maybe the protection pack is worth if you plan on ultimately destroying your phone.   But it's cheaper to to have apple repair it.  If you think it's okay to pay $420 a year for the multi device protection, then another $225 for a "low deductible", then by all means let them add it to your plan.    Even more saddening is  ATT stands being Asurion's prices 100%.  Why any respected company would back a scam insurance company I don't know.  Maybe they get kickbacks or something.  But don't fall for it.   Un-necessary charge to your ATT bill!  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Gurx33 wrote:

I've been paying $35 for months for the Multi-Device Protection Pack.  At the time the ATT rep explained that with this I could repair/replace 3 devices with a "low deductible".  

But don't fall for it.   Un-necessary charge to your ATT bill!  

I guess, but you're coughing up $420 a year for this, it seems like you might want to check on the numbers. You know, read the policy... The details aren't secret, but they vary by device.

Low to one person isn't low to everyone. 

My motorcycle broke once and I remember the guy telling me it was an expensive part and I'm thinking $500, it was $16! So it depends. I'm glad I didn't scrap it when I hear that.

To be clear, unless you are a habitual dropper, you'd be better off keeping the $420 a year IMHO.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

That's how insurance works.  It's optional.  If your prepared to pay the cost of the loss, then cancel it.  

I don't use insurance.  I figure I saved over $5,000 over the years and only had one lost phone, one chewed by a puppy and one broken 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

The deductible is written in the insurance terms and conditions. Someone signs up for insurance and you get a packet of information mailed to you with the details. 

ALL insurance products have deductibles. Phone insurance is no different than automobile, renters, etc. Monthly premium and a deductible if a claim is made. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

We switched from Verizon to AT&T when we recently purchased out iPhone 8+. To my surprise I found this Asurion Protection plan on my first bill. The brochure did not list the 8 or 8+ so I checked their websit for the updated devices. It was listed there and said a broken screen will be replaced the same day for a service fee of $89, 

“Screen Repair: $89 deductible applies. Limited to eligible devices in select areas. Newly launched device models may not be eligible for screen repair. Visit phoneclaim.com/att to check current eligibility. Same day repair option depends upon claim approval time and technician availability. Repairs are performed by an Asurion-certified technician and come with a 12-month warranty. Repairs may use new or refurbished parts; may contain original or non-original manufacturer parts; and may void the manufacturer warranty. Declining deductibles not applicable to screen repair and selecting screen repair option will not impact customer's declining deductible eligibility. Some colors of eligible devices are not covered. Eligible devices and available areas are both subject to change at any time.”

However, when my wife dropped her phone off the bathroom countertop to the tile floor and cracked the screen, we filed the claim, to our surprise they sent us a bill for $289 for full phone replacement. I called to find out why not the $89 screen replacement? The told me based on my zip code in Florida, screen replacement is not available in my area. 

Ok I said I am in Denver Colorado is it available here, no not available in Denver. Ok I will be in Chicago IL next week, is it available there? Not available in Chicago. So I checked zip codes all over the Country, guess what? Screen repair on the IPhone 8 or 8+ is not available ANYWHERE!  It’s a SCAM!  The sell you the insurance claiming to do screen repairs for $89, but bait and switch to full phone repair instead to rio you off!!!  

This is is an insurance Scam by Asurion, to ripp off customers.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines.]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

My phone was stolen!! That is a big joke !! I call the day it got stolen from me and on the November 17 a used rebuilt phone was sent out to me. Came the next day.  This chip rebuilt phone that I paid 170.00  deductible  and 350 to pay off my contract.  Because oh yeah you have to pay for your stolen phone upfront. I am now out over 600.00 in payments and 500.00 since my phone was stolen and it still doesn’t work. Up to you is insurance worth it?? I have 10 lines I am over that I can not get this replacement rebuilt phone on!! 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

@Shiloh8750

So cancel it.    But understand if 6 months from now,they may do screen repairs on your phone.  But if your phone is lost, you have no coverage, you still owe several hundred bucks on it.  

Not sure how it’s a scam.  BTW Verizon, and all the others use Asurion too.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

@Rekabeimmik   If you got a defective replacement you should contact Asurion right away.  The replacement should be equal to the phone it’s replacing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I used the insurance this month to replace a iPhone X with a none functioning speaker.  Before I even received the replacement phone I found out that this is a known problem with iPhones.  I completely rebooted the phone and the speaker worked again.  I call the protection plan and they will not refund me my deductible even though I never even opened the replacement phone.  I am thinking about cancelling the plan and I am going to leave AT&T.  I will be leaving remarks on every blog/review board possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@RPR3025 wrote:

I used the insurance this month to replace a iPhone X with a none functioning speaker.  Before I even received the replacement phone I found out that this is a known problem with iPhones.  I completely rebooted the phone and the speaker worked again.

You didn't reboot before ordering a replacement?

You didn't google before making an insurance claim and paying the deductible?

But you're bothering to create an account and post online the repercussions of you not doing those basic things and making it clear that it's someone else's fault...

@RPR3025 wrote:

I am thinking about cancelling the plan and I am going to leave AT&T.  

And you want to make this AT&T's issue when they aren't the insurance company?

Be sure to check who the insurance company is with your new carrier as Asurion provides insurance for the big 4 (and more).

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

6 years ago

@RPR3025 wrote:

I used the insurance this month to replace a iPhone X with a none functioning speaker.  Before I even received the replacement phone I found out that this is a known problem with iPhones.  I completely rebooted the phone and the speaker worked again.  I call the protection plan and they will not refund me my deductible even though I never even opened the replacement phone.  I am thinking about cancelling the plan and I am going to leave AT&T.  I will be leaving remarks on every blog/review board possible.

So file a BBB complaint with Asurion.  You may still have problems getting your deductible back and they will probably blacklist your phone.  (Yeah, they can do that).  

Just and FYI it says on all Asurion information and on ATT page about claims that once a claim is excepted, they do not refund deductibles.  Read the last line:   https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html

Apple has an excellent warranty, even if past one year.  It’s always a good idea to approach Apple first.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.