For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
dyeaple's profile

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Monday, June 14th, 2021 2:14 PM

Adding 5G support to devices on Unlimited Plus plan

In March 2021, AT&T announced that it was Expanding 5G to All Consumer Customers on Unlimited Wireless Plans for No Extra Cost. The AT&T Unlimited Plus plan is included in the announcement as a 5G supported plan and the announcement states that, "If you’re a customer on the above listed previous generation unlimited plans and you have a 5G capable device and are within the AT&T 5G network footprint, you will be notified by text message or email that we are adding 5G to your plan."

I am on the AT&T Unlimited Plus plan and have received multiple text messages from AT&T that say, "AT&T FREE MSG: Did you know that AT&T 5G service is already included with your Unlimited Plan? If you upgrade to a 5G compatible phone you can enjoy nationwide AT&T 5G coverage that's fast, reliable and secure. Learn more at att.com/5Gphones."

This past weekend I upgraded two of our phones from iPhone 7 Plus to iPhone 12 Pro Max. The new devices were provisioned with new 5G SIM cards when we purchased them.

We immediately noticed that we're not getting 5G service on the new iPhone 12 Pro Max devices, even at the Corporate-owned AT&T store where the store manager had 5G service on his device. Checking the device settings, both devices only show 4G and LTE support when we go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Voice & Data. The AT&T store manager directed me to contact AT&T Customer Support to add 5G support.

I've contacted AT&T Customer Support and they say that they don't know how to enable 5G for our devices on the Unlimited Plus plan.

Can someone provide me with some direction as to what AT&T Customer Support needs to do to enable 5G for our devices?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

3 years ago

Are you in a 5g coverage area?  Many still are not. 

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Lizdance40,

Thanks for your message. Yes, I'm in 5g coverage and was when I was in the AT&T corporate store too.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Another way to ask this question, "Can someone who is on the Unlimited Plus plan and has successfully added devices with 5G enabled tell me about the process they followed?"  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

I’ve yet to see anyone on a grandfathered plan confirm they get 5G. I’m also on a grandfathered plan (Unlimited & More Premium) and now have a 5G phone on my account. I know I need a 5G SIM card but I’m not going to bother until I see confirmation from someone on a grandfathered plan that 5G has actually been added. Hope you figure it out.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you Sandblaster!

I've read some postings where Unlimited Plus customers were successful in having 5G support for their devices (https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/mzuc9u/5g_to_grandfathered_unlimited_plan_rollout/).

In some cases, Customer Support was apparently able to make the upgrade, in other cases it was apparently automatic.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Its a slow rollout from what I can tell.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

3 years ago

Slow roll out for sure.  

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks Glimmerman76 and Lizdance40!

The AT&T announcement states that, "If you’re a customer on the above listed previous generation unlimited plans and you have a 5G capable device and are within the AT&T 5G network footprint, you will be notified by text message or email that we are adding 5G to your plan."

I did receive two text messages from AT&T indicating that my Unlimited Plus plan has 5G included (see below), so I'm definitely confused about the situation.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Has anyone else on a grandfathered Unlimited plan received similar texts or emails from AT&T notifying them about 5G support on their plan?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.