Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
C

• 

1 Message

Sun, Feb 7, 2021 7:21 PM

WIFI or iMessaging with androids.

Let me begin by saying I am a novice at knowledge for cell service issues. I have a microcell and I'm trying to prepare for early 2022. I have and iPhone but many of my family members have android phones. I know that I will be able to use WiFi calling to voice talk with them but will I lose ability to send text messages to them? To clarify, I do not have AT&T service where I live but do have internet. Many of my messages now (using microcell) show as undelivered with an android in the group, even though they were sent through. Am I understanding how the microcell works...does it allow me to have group messages with those androids without using wifi but rather my carrier plan?

Ultimately, I would love some suggestions on what I should do to be able to continue communicating with my family. 

Thank you in advance for any insight. 

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.6K Messages

2 m ago

Wifi calling is 'call and text', not just voice calls. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

2 m ago

WiFi-C works fine for sending iMessages to other iPhone users as well as text messages to Android users. The MicroCell works just like a macrocell (cellular tower) but keeping WiFi enabled is advisable for data. I've been using WiFi-C exclusively for a couple of years now and have no issues when being involved in a group message with iPhone and Android users. The same was true when I was using the MicroCell.

Keep in mind that the MicroCell service will be discontinued by this time next year, if not sooner so you'd be best to start using WiFi-C exclusively now because support for the MicroCell, such that it is, will become increasingly less and less as the year progresses.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

48.5K Messages

2 m ago

WiFi-C works fine for sending iMessages to other iPhone users

Not quite true. WiFi works fine for sending iMessages. WiFi-C is your WiFi connection to the cellular voice network, so you do not send iMessages via WiFi-C, you just send them via WiFi. Don’t confuse the two. It is possible to be on WiFi but not on WiFi-C.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

2 m ago

@sandblaster I understand that it's possible to be on WiFi and not WiFi-C. They are not the same. I've disabled WiFi and was still able to send messages via iMessage to other iPhone users, or been in an area where there was no WiFi or WiFi-C availability and still sent iMessages via cellular. However, it makes no sense to not have WiFi enabled all of the time whether one is connecting to the cellular network via a macrocell, MicroCell, or WiFi-C.

Get started...

Ask a new question