Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
P

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jun 29, 2020 1:58 PM

what is web address to update phone numbers for the AT&T Microcell.

I've tried the 'Go to AT&T MicroCell Online Management.' as suggested online.   It takes me to a page to select which phone number i want to work on.  but then just redirects me to same page over and over.  

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

5 months ago

I'm going to move this to the MicroCell page. There has been some discussions there but basically the link is broken and I haven't been able to get any information from AT&T about when they expect to get it fixed or if they are even going to fix it. I have a couple of steps that have worked in the past to get to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page. It may or may not work.

Do keep in mind that the MicroCell service will be discontinued in about a year from now as AT&T is beginning to transition away from their 3G network. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now if your phone is capable.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

@OttoPylot that’s disappointing as WiFi calling does not work in rural areas such as Falls of Rough, KY. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

WiFi-C is dependent on your internet connection but uses your WiFi to reach the AT&T Mobility servers. If you have a post paid AT&T cellular account and a phone that is capable of WiFi-C on AT&T's network, WiFi-C may work for you.

To use the MicroCell, you need to have a post paid AT&T celluar account and a land based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber). Satellite or wireless broadband is not supported by AT&T because the MicroCell was not designed for those types of internet service. You might also have a location issue if you are living in a rural area because the GPS location may not match the physical address in the locational database. Route numbers, road address, p.o. box addresses etc usually don't work. The GPS confirmation of your location is an FCC E911 requirement.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

@pcecil

IIf the MicroCell works, so will wifi calling.  All you need is a compatible phone and to turn the feature on.  IPhone 6 or newer are compatible. AT&T Android phones running marshmallow or newer operating system are also compatible. Most of the basic phones that AT&T sells now are also Wi-Fi calling compatible. This is a free feature built into these phones, all you have to do is turn the feature on and sign up with your e911 address.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Observer

• 

2 Messages

@OttoPylot Would you mind telling us what the steps are that have worked for you in the past?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

@joshuaprince It's in my other Settings post on this page but here it is again:

1. go to att.com

2. login to your myAT&T account

3. under the search  menu "I'm looking for...." type in Microcell and you should see Microcell Management from the drop down menu. If you search for Microcell Management directly you may hit a brick wall

4. select Microcell Management

5. you should see AT&T Microcell Settings as an option so click on that

6. select Personal Account. You may have to back out and try that again a couple of times. It took me two tries

7. pick the phone number that your MicroCell is registered to. It should have the MicroCell's serial number associated with it.

8. click Continue and you should see your settings

The last time I checked this, which was last week, it didn't work so you may or may not have luck. I just received some more information from AT&T this morning and as soon as I am told I can post it I will, so check back later on.

Observer

• 

2 Messages

Are you able to relay the information AT&T told you? I've been trying what you suggested with absolutely no luck.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

It's funny you should post today. I just re-connected my DPH-154 because I wanted to check something (we've been using WiFi-C for almost 3 years now). Using Safari (Firefox didn't work), I logged into my AT&T account from the main page. Searched for Microcell Maintenance and clicked on Microcell Settings. It took me, with a couple of redirects to the main MicroCell page. I clicked on Personal and was taken to myMicroCell Settings. Everything looked ok (my MicroCell was still listed as Activated), including my current address which is what I wanted to check. Clicked on Save just to make sure (nothing happened), and Quit. I'm just waiting to connect (solid green 3G) and then I'll check my phone to make a few tests.

You might want to try and clear all cookies and caches from whichever browser you are using.

AT&T has, and is looking into the issue. At first they said there was nothing wrong but they were checking the MicroCell page internally. I suggested they try an external approach and the problem was apparent. They are working on it but as I have been saying, the MicroCell is not a priority item anymore so they will take their time. The other problem is that some of the folks who were assigned to the MicroCell (database, IT, etc) have been reassigned now due to CV-19 and the ultimate demise of the MicroCell service.

NOTE: It's been about 30 minutes since I first accessed my myMicroCell Settings page and connected the MicroCell to the router and power. All lights are solid green. I disabled WiFi-C on my iPhone 8 Plus and the AT&T M-Cell alpha tag immediately appeared with full cellular signal strength bars and full WiFi signal bars. WiFi is still enabled as it should be. The MicroCell is setup upstairs, connected to the mesh satellite (which is hard wired to the router downstairs).

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 months ago

Has anyone tried the text-management function, "Send a text to 6235 (MCEL) with either ADD xxxyyyzzzz or REMOVE xxxyyyzzzz"?

I was on the phone with AT&T support trying to fix my son's AT&T Galaxy A6 which was both on our Microcell list (for years) and also using WiFi calling. They had me REMOVE his number using the above procedure, and we got his WiFi calling working.

Now I want to swap his AT&T Galaxy A6 with an unlocked Galaxy S8 (doesn't have WiFi calling) but now I can't get his number re-added to the Microcell list because the text message function keeps replying with "System Maintenance" as in this thread: https://forums.att.com/conversations/3g-microcell/cannot-update-microcell-due-to-maintenance/5df007f2bad5f2f606ac1f8f

There should be a way for us to connect/log directly into the Microcell and perform these simple add/remove functions...

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

2 months ago

@evillama First of all, the MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017 and the service itself will be discontinued no later that Feb. 2022 once AT&T shuts down their 3G network so WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now.

The AT&T MicroCell Settings page has been having connection issues for months now. Basically it's very difficult to login to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page from your web browser because any external attempt to connect usually ends up in an endless redirect until the connection times out.

The text messaging hasn't worked correctly for years so I'm surprised that you were able to do what you did. The remote app has been also totally useless for years. The app developer never kept the app up-to-date.

Internally, AT&T can access the MicroCell Settings page but externally (customer side) it doesn't work. AT&T is totally aware of the customer side issues but the folks who are responsible for the MicroCell maintenance (IT, webpage, etc) are not there anymore and/or the resources have been allocated elsewhere. AT&T is not keen on keeping a service and product running without issues if they are close to shutting it down altogether.

To answer your question, there isn't an easy way to connect to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page anymore. Even if you can connect, there's no guarantee that your changes will be saved.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks. I knew already from all the forum discussions that it is essentially hopeless for us with "semi-working" Microcells. Years ago AT&T gave these devices away for free. They have got to have telemetry and data on how many actual devices are still being used, and the primary numbers associated with them.

They should a) send out a targeted note to all the account holders, informing them of the discontinuation (not just when trouble occurs and you find out only then), b) have one of their web designers update the Microcell pages, removing the broken links and replacing them with discontinuation notices, and finally c) offer some type of discount specifically to the device owners for new AT&T-branded phones which are WiFi capable.

We have unlocked phones with dual-SIM cards (international travelling) which AT&T doesn't offer (obviously to make you sign-up for their international plans). That's the main reason we're keeping our Microcell up and running for as long as it will last. Eventually, we'll have to find another carrier that's more generous with WiFi calling ability.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

2 months ago

@evillama I had my MicroCell off and in the closet for the last three years. AT&T sent me a text sometime around July saying that my MicroCell account would be terminated for lack of use if I didn't reconnect it. Not a big deal. I just took it out of its box, connected it to my router, and 30 minutes later it was up and running with no issues. I kept it online until about 3 weeks ago and then put it away in its box and went back to WiFi-C.

I have asked repeatedly for AT&T to send out text messages to all active MicroCell accounts once the service has an accurate sunset date. We'll see if that happens.

AT&T is not going to update the MicroCell Settings page. And if they do, it will just be a temporary bandaid because why spend time and money on a product/service that will gone in about a year from now? Discounts for for WiFi-C capable phones? Dream on. Femtocells (the MicroCell ) is old technology, as 3G will be soon. Time to keep up with technology.

Sounds like you need to consider switching carriers.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 months ago

I just came from the AT&T store with a brand new Note 20 5G for "free" after trading in another one of our S8's. If a customer is a "Femtocell" user, they most likely are a longer time customer. So is a discount really that hard to imagine? Is using a "dual SIM" phone not keeping up with the times? All I was suggesting was a little TLC for loyal customers. You're more giving us the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" treatment... 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

2 months ago

Do keep in mind that this is a customer helping customer forum only. This is not an official AT&T Support forum, so Support does not read nor respond to posts here. I believe that AT&T lists which phones they support for WiFi-C on their network, and that list does change from time to time as AT&T adds/drops new phones.

My responses to you are based on my experiences with AT&T, specifically the MicroCell, and not AT&T policy per se. If you feel that AT&T is not treating you right as a long time customer you should complain directly to them, or switch.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

@OttoPylot I gave up getting my Microcell up and running. It was online, but wouldn't support sending MMS. So, I turned it off and bought an AT&T phone with wifi calling. Other family members still use the Microcell, so I need to remove my phone number from it.  I can't log in with all the redirects. I tried your suggestions, with 3 devices and 4 different browsers over many days.  Any suggestions for how I can log in to delete my number?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

2 months ago

If your phone number was the one used to register/activate the MicroCell, even if you could get to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page, removing your phone number will eventually inactivate the MicroCell because it's tied to your post paid account.

I always kept WiFi enabled on our phones when we were using the MicroCell and never had any issues in sending/receiving MMS/SMS messages to iPhones and Android phones. The MicroCell doesn't use WiFi but the phone will use the WiFi connection for data and leave the voice calls to cellular.

If you want to continue to use the MicroCell for other members in your house and use WiFi-C on your phone then you will need to place your phone in Airplane Mode to disable its cellular radio. Typically, if you attempt to use WiFi-C within range of a MicroCell that your phone is registered to you may have call quality issues because the phone will always attempt to connect to the strongest signal which may change as you move around your home. Some phones can handle that better than others.

You may be ok leaving the MicroCell up and running and using WiFi-C on your phone so give it a try. If you see the M-Cell alpha tag still appearing on your phone with WiFi-C enabled then the MicroCell's 3G signal is stronger than your WiFi. I re-enabled our MicroCell a month ago or so to check on some reported issues but never disabled WiFi-C on my phone. The M-Cell alpha tag was always displayed but we still had no issues with MMS/SMS to our Android friends. Powering off the MicroCell after testing was done, we went back to WiFi-C with zero issues.

Get started...

Ask a new question