Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
P

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Jul 29, 2020 10:55 PM

Unlocked Samsung S20 Ultra not Connecting to MicoCell

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new-in-box MicroCell from someone on eBay. I had an issue during activation but was able to call in and the friendly folks at AT&T got me up and running quick. 

I have 2 devices currently connected to the MicroCell and they're working great. However, my primary device (an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G) will not connect to the MicroCell at all. It's definitely added to the access list, as confirmed by AT&T support, and I've rebooted the phone several times. I've even gone into the settings on the phone and clicked the option for "search for AT&T MicoCell" and it comes back with "failed to connect to mobile network via AT&T MicroCell"

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions

I unfortunately have very poor service (usually around 1-2 of 5 bars) which results in frequent drops during my calls. I would use WiFi calling if I could but, for whatever reason, since it's an unlocked phone it won't support AT&T WiFi calling. 

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

2 months ago

Surprised you found a "new" MicroCell on eBay. AT&T stopped selling them at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell had reached its EOL. The service itself will be discontinued within a year or so from now once AT&T begins to dismantle its 3G network. WiFi-C is what is recommended now by AT&T and us.

There was a poster awhile back who claimed to have purchased quite a few new MicroCells from an estate sale. They were supposedly straight from Cisco but the serial numbers had never been entered into the AT&T system so they weren't recognized and wouldn't work. I'm glad, and a bit surprised that AT&T Support was able to help. Do keep in mind that AT&T is beginning to clean house with the MicroCell's in anticipation of shutting the system down so if you have issues between now and then, it will be difficult to get support.

The MicroCell is 3G only so see if there is an option on the S20 to use 3G only. If not, it's a Samsung thing and there is nothing you, or AT&T can do.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

@OttoPylot Thanks for your quick response. I've read many of your previous posts and well written guides. 

As far as I could tell, this was indeed a "new" MicroCell - it was an opened box but everything inside was in mint condition. I had a problem with address verification during activation, but I called in to support and spoke with a really friendly agent who knew exactly how to fix the issue. I was expecting to have to call in a few times to reach someone who actually knew what the heck a MicroCell was. 

I'm looking into possible ways to force my S20 to only use 3G, but not looking super promising so far. At this point I figure it could be one of several things going on here;

1. It's not working because it's an unlocked phone
  2. It's not working because it's too new of a phone and not compatible with MicroCells 
  3. The phone things that 1 bar of "5G" service is better than full bars of 3G and therefore ignores the MicroCell
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

2 months ago

It's the last one I would bet.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

2 months ago

Definitely not #1.   I have used a micro cell because I had unlocked phones and could not use Wifi calling with them on AT&T 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Yeah, I'm betting it's likely #3.. For as smart as modern phones can be, sometimes they're just pretty dumb. For what it's worth, the MicroCell has made a tremendous difference for my other devices. 

Unfortunately it looks like I might have to port my primary phone to another carrier that supports WiFi calling on unlocked phones. It's a shame because I like AT&T, but I literally can't make calls on my phone from my home office without WiFi calling or the MicroCell. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

2 months ago

@patrick_madden Keep in mind that if your primary number is the one you used to register/activate the MicroCell, and you lose it because of porting to another carrier, your MicroCell will no longer work after a period of time.

Get started...

Ask a new question