What is happening with 3G?
T

• 

8 Messages

Monday, June 21st, 2021 6:47 PM

Setting up an account without a phone number or account number

I'm trying to set up a Microcell hotspot for our office because our AT&T members don't get great service here. 

But in order to activate it, I need to have an account connected to it. So I'm trying to set up an online account, but I personally have a different phone service so it won't let me. 

Is there a way to create an account without have internet or a cell phone number with you all? 

I just need to get this activated. 

Thanks for your help! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

The AT&T Microcell service starting being phased out years ago.  Even if you had an account number, I doubt you could get it registered.   AT&T is phasing out HSPA/HSPA+ service (3G/4G) which is what the Microcell provided.  

Replacing the Microcell is Wi-Fi calling.  The users need phones capable of VoLTE and WI-Fi calling (which they're going to need not later than next February when all of 3G will be shut down), and connect to your Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi calling on.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

if you know of any way to create an account without having an AT&T account, that would be SO helpful!

I guarantee you that is not possible. @OttoPylot can possibly tell you how to activate once you have an account but it’s not possible to register a microcell to anything other than an existing postpaid account.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 years ago

@TaylorWithTheVillage As mentioned above, there is NO WAY to use the MicroCell without an AT&T post paid cellular account. It is not a cellular booster but actually a femtocell. It is also a 3G device only and AT&T is not registering/activating any new 3G devices because of the upcoming 3G service shutdown. The MicroCell registration/activation website is also down so even if you were able to access it, there's nothing you could do.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you - there does have to be a way to activate it, so I will keep looking. But this is great info! 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

You also need to register each phone with the microcell. And I’m not sure if other providers phones will work with the AT&T microcell. @Juniper  could be of more assistance

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@Constructive Thank you for your help! 

We really only need it for one woman in particular so we will set up her phone number with the microcell. But the issue is activating the microcell as someone who doesn't have AT&T. I can't even create an account to activate and manage it. 

Is there any way to create an account just as a user?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Is there any way to create an account just as a user?

No. Seriously, you are probablywasting your time. In the unlikely event you are able to activate it, it won’t work past February of next year anyway. The resident microcell expert here is @OttoPylot if there is any chance of activating, he’ll know.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@sandblaster I totally get the February thing, but until then I still need to activate it. We run an office space and it's one of our members so we're just trying to appease them for the time being. 

@OttoPylot if you know of any way to create an account without having an AT&T account, that would be SO helpful! 

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@sandblaster @OttoPylot - Just got someone to let me use their account so now I'm in, but still struggling with activation. Any help here?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

You should probably contact AT&T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.