Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
D

• 

7 Messages

Sat, Jun 20, 2020 3:07 PM

Microcell

I have no service where I live. I depend on my microcell. It recently stopped working. Had a spare, It stopped working. Do not have the capability of wifi calling with our phones. Purchased a new black microcell and I cannot get the Manage your microcell page to load so that I can activate. Why??? What can I do?

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

2 months ago

This has been moved to the MicroCell forum. With regards to your other MicroCell's, I would've checked the ac adapter's first with a voltmeter to see if they would read 16VDC +/0.5 with no load. It could have been as simple as a failing/failed ac adapter in which replacement with a new one of the same rating may have brought your MicroCell back to life.

Keep in mind that there are no new MicroCell's being sold unless you bought it second hand from someone who is claiming that it is new. There are lots of issues with the myAT&T MicroCell Setttings page. See my post in this forum about accessing the MicroCell Settings page.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

Thank you for the response! I did think that the ac adaptoer could have been the issue. But the two that I had were both white and the cords were different. The black microcell that I just purchased was second hand and said that it was new and was an open box. I have tried the instructions that you provided  in an earlier post. I choose the phone number with the microcell sn# attached to it and it either keeps taking me back to the same page or it gives me this messages for days now. Please see below. Did they discontinue that page? Any suggestions?

Thank you again for the response back!!!

Error

We apologize for the inconvenience, but our system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

@dwjwfaith you may have to try the steps that I gave above a couple of times because it didn't always work for me the first time I would try it. 

The MicroCell is not a priority right now for the reasons I gave above. I'm trying to use the folks I know within AT&T to find out the status of the MicroCell Settings page but even they can't get very far. I'll keep bugging them but all you can do at this point in time is try the steps I outlined above.

Test the ac adapters on all of the MicroCell's you have. Whichever one is good try powering up the MicroCell that was associated with your account. If it is an adapter issue, maybe powering up the previous MicroCell will bring your service back with no need to go to your settings page. I know that when I bring my MicroCell(s) back online for testing purposes, I don't have to go to my Settings page for anything.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

Good morning! Thank you again for your assistance. I tried the microcell that was associated with the account again and it will not connect. The site either says under maintenance or it loops me around to the same page with my number and microcell that is associated with it when I try to access the manage microcell page. It is curious though that the bill pay part of the site works perfectly. So AT&T has no problem taking our money but does not care about providing service. A family emergency arose and I have no way to communicate with them so I am getting very frustrated. Please any other suggestions is much appreciated!!!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

Just a side note while you are getting help from OttoPylot:   the MicroCell will cease to work at all once 3-g shuts down. So after you get this MicroCell thing straightened out, please consider upgrading within the next 18 months to a phone that is Wi-Fi calling capable.   

It has been apparent that in the past two years AT&T has stopped maintenance on anything to do with the MicroCell, including its web page. Officially they do not support the device anymore. The preferred technology is Wi-Fi calling. So it is up to you to either adapt to the currently supported technology, or consider changing to a carrier that covers your location

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

7 Messages

Thank you for responding. I do understand that the microcell will be illuminated roughly in February. I do know how to adapt to wifi calling as that is what I use for my work cell. We do not have any carrier that has service in my area and that is why I have stayed with AT&T as long as I have. As long as the microcell was working there was no need to change. We have a phone that is under contract on our plan so that is also why we have not changed our current carrier.  But thank you for trying to assist!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

@dwjwfaith as @lizdance40 mentioned, you need to seriously consider upgrading your phones to WiFi-C capability, purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line) or switch carriers.

The original twilight date for the MicroCell Service was Feb. 2021. That was possibly changed to coincide with the twilight date for AT&T's 3G network, which was around or before Feb. 2022. It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T is now pushing back for early next year to concentrate resources to new services and the termination of the 3G network. CV-19 has messed up a lot of plans so the "low hanging fruit", of which the MicroCell service is, will probably get picked first. I have been asking AT&T for at least 2 years now to send out a text message to all active MicroCell users of the shutdown date when it is reasonable to do so but my guess is that they will just leave it up to Support to tell angry customers when they call in that the MicroCell is not longer officially supported, service is being terminated, and to switch to WiFi-C.

Have you checked the ac adapters? That's the first thing you need to do.

When the MicroCell stopped working, what exactly happened and what did the LED light pattern indicate?

Who is your ISP?

This is from my other post in this forum. Have you tried this?

1. go to att.com

2. login to your myAT&T account

3. under the search  menu "I'm looking for...." type in Microcell and you should see Microcell Management from the drop down menu. If you search for Microcell Management directly you may hit a brick wall

4. select Microcell Management

5. you should see AT&T Microcell Settings as an option so click on that

6. select Personal Account. You may have to back out and try that again a couple of times. It took me two tries

7. pick the phone number that your MicroCell is registered to. It should have the MicroCell's serial number associated with it.

8. click Continue and you should see your settings

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

Hi and thank you! Yes I have done all of the above. The pattern is that it flashes, but no satelite signal on the one. The other the light is just red and no other lights. I cannot connect the one I just purchased  because it is not activated. I did plug the one that is associated with the account back in. Again the first two lights glow but never connects.  As I stated prior, we have a phone under contract so we cannot change at this time. We are in what they refer to as a dead zone. I have been with ATT probably since 2001. I considered buying new phones instead of a microcell, but thought that if I could just get thru to February then I would decide what I should do. If I could just get into that page to activate, but it just keeps going back to the phone number associated with microcell page. I did speak to ATT and they did not tell me that the microcell was no longer supported. I d thank you for all your efforts. Oh! My ISP is comcast. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

Devils advocate again 😁.   I'm not trying to push you out the door, just trying to make you aware of all of your options.

Contract?   Or installments?    Installments would show a balance on your bill.   If you have iPhone 8, iPhone x, Xs, or iPhone 11, all of these phones once paid off and unlocked will work on any other carrier.   I know that Verizon has a $250 promotional credit for any phone number ported in if you bring your own phone.   So 2 phones and numbers = $500.    I believe they have a deal for waiving activation fees and the promotion requires that you do the switch online.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

7 Messages

Haha! No I appreciate the info! Maybe I will have to look into that. The phone is a Samsung. It is the next gen plan I believe. So it is installments. The other phones we do own but do not have wifi capability. My first thought was to just buy new phones so that I would have the wifi calling but I was advised to just buy another  microcell to get me through. $115.00 later and no way to activate. Totally my fault. Thank you to all for your assistance. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

Well, $115 is the cheaper option.  Changing carriers is never cheap. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.3K Messages

@lizdance40 The $115 is what the OP has already spent on a replacement microcell with still no resolution since they can’t get it activated. New phones or changing carriers is going to cost more.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

Yes, that was my point.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

@dwjwfaith Comcast is our ISP as well and I haven't had any issues re-connecting my MicroCell as a test the last couple of times I tried it.

I just tried to access the MicroCell Settings page and while I can see the link for the MicroCell Settings pop up after I've searched for MicroCell Management the link quickly goes away and I'm back to the spinning wheel. I'm using Firefox so I'll try Safari next.

Safari doesn't work either and I get the error message "Load cannot follow more than 20 redirections" so I'm going to send off a couple of emails now to followup on that. Don't expect too much because my feeling is that the folks responsible for the MicroCell are either no longer there or have been reassigned to other higher priority areas.

• 

7 Messages

Yes that is what I thought at the time. But it is proving to not have been the best choice. I wonder if I call ATT if they can activate this microcell? I might have to go for a drive and try that. Or at least find out if they are no longer supporting them. Thank you again! 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

😂. You mean someone At&t PAYS knows about the MicroCell?   

I don't believe it. 

😂😂😂

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

2 months ago

@dwjwfaith

They can't do it for you.   It has to have GPS location at your home 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

@dwjwfaith I doubt if a corporate store will be able to register/activate the MicroCell for you because as @lizdance40 pointed out, the physical location of the MicroCell needs to be verified and that can't be at the corporate store. They used to be able to do that back in the day but the system has deteriorated to the point that it is highly unlikely that activation will happen now. Staff in corporate stores know even less about the MicroCell than the CSA's do.

Technically, AT&T still supports the MicroCell in that there are still lots of folks who have a working MicroCell with no issues. Realistically, they don't, or do not want to support the MicroCell other than reading off of the same old script that hasn't corrected any issue for quite some time  now or suggest you switch to WiFi-C.

The CSA's MAY be able to register/activate it for you online (highly unlikely) but if you still can't access your settings page to check/save settings, it's a moot point. What AT&T sees on their end and what the customer sees can be two entirely different things.

I've sent off a couple of emails so we'll see what the response is next week but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Get started...

Ask a new question