Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Dec 14, 2019 10:30 PM

MicroCell

Did att quit using the mircrcell.  

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

2 months ago

They were discontinued almost 2 years ago,  it existing units will still work till 3g shuts down.  3g is actively being shut down now through 2/21

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Now what does one do?  I live where cell service is  none existent.  I was told when I came to ATT that I could get a mircrcell and that would take care of the  problem. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 months ago

@my8037983044 - AT&T discontinued sales of the MicroCell at the end of 2017 because it had reached its EOL. The service will continue until AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network, which will be around Feb 2021, or sooner. At that time service will be discontinued as well. You can find them on eBay but there are caveats to purchasing a used MicroCell. See my Tech Guide, link is in my sig line. What AT&T and us recommend now is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable. Other than that your other options are to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster guide, link is in my sig line) or switch carriers.

As a side note, the requirements for a  MicroCell (which is not a cellular booster) is to have a post paid AT&T cellular account and land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber). Satellite and wireless broadband are not supported.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

I bought and paid for a year of prepaid service from ATT, after being told that I could use a MicroCell were I live.  I have for the most part  NO CELL SERVICE HERE.  It works when it wants to. None of the other services are any better.  My phone works on 4G with no problems, so naturally it will work on 3 G.   According  to Apple my Iphone 5SE is as powerful as an Iphone 6, 6 Plus or other Apple I phones.  It is just not as big.    As to using WiFi-C it will do it, BUT what good is that when I do not even get a good signal here anyway.   I live in the country, LIKE way out in the country.  So what I have been sold is a bill of goods  or a lie.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 months ago

@my8037983044 - WiFi-C is totally independent from the MicroCell. If you have a robust WiFi connection, it should work just fine, as long as the MicroCell is powered off. Otherwise, you may have an issue with the 3G signal of the MicroCell competing with the WiFi signal and the phone gets "confused" as to which one is the stronger of the two to connect with. Try WiFi-C with the MicroCell powered off and see if you connection is more robust. Leave WiFi enabled on your phone as well as WiFi Calling. They are separate protocols but, at least on the iPhone, it allows for data to go thru via your WiFi connections (as it does for the MicroCell) and just WiFi (or the MicroCell) for voice.

WiFi-C worked just fine with my old iPhone SE and has continued to work well up to and through the 8 Plus.

What kind of internet service do you have and is your location within an AT&T service area? If your internet is satellite or wireless, the MicroCell won't work or work very well because it was not designed for that type of internet connection. You may also have issues with WiFi-C because of the type of internet connection you have. In fact, if you can't get any signal bars then a cellular booster will not work well at all because they need at least one and preferably two bars of signal strength before they can lock on to the signal and "boost".

Another issue concerning your location is that the GPS coordinates sent by the MicroCell to AT&T must match the physical address of the unit. If not, your location can not be verified and you won't be able to connect to the AT&T Mobility Servers. Even though the MicroCell does not use the tower closest to you to send/receive calls, it is necessary for the Initial Activation and periodic maintenance checks. All of that is explained in my Tech Guide.

It's been my experience that most AT&T CSR's haven't a clue as to how the MicroCell works let alone how to troubleshoot it. That's why I wrote the guides you see in my sig line.

So, what kind of internet service do you have (including speeds) and what kind of address do you have (p.o. box, route number, road, etc)? Don't post your complete address just post the type of address you have.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

2 months ago

@my8037983044 wrote:

I bought and paid for a year of prepaid service from ATT, after being told that I could use a MicroCell were I live. 

A microcell cannot be activated without a postpaid AT&T plan and a home Internet service. 

I have for the most part  NO CELL SERVICE HERE.  It works when it wants to. None of the other services are any better.  My phone works on 4G with no problems, so naturally it will work on 3 G. 

Missing the point.  Your phone has to work on LTE, and will.   3g shut down kills the microcell, not Wifi calling which your phone can do.  

According  to Apple my Iphone 5SE is as powerful as an Iphone 6, 6 Plus or other Apple I phones.  It is just not as big.    As to using WiFi-C it will do it, BUT what good is that when I do not even get a good signal here anyway. 

Huh?  This statement totally baffles me.  
 Wi-Fi is not Wi-Fi calling.
You seem to think the microcell is going to solve all your problems.   It isn’t going to do anymore for your phone and your phone can do for itself.  I don’t think you understand how Wi-Fi calling works or how the microcell works. Your phone does not need the microcell to use Wi-Fi calling - all you have to do is turn the feature on. 

I live in the country, LIKE way out in the country.  So what I have been sold is a bill of goods  or a lie.

If you bought a microcell, yeah.   You don’t need it and can’t use with prepaid.    That has nothing to do with getting your phone working with Wifi calling.  Your phone does that on it’s own.    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 months ago

@lizdance40 - I missed the part about pre-paid service. Thanks for catching that. That makes his argument a moot point. If AT&T told him he could use a MicroCell on a pre-paid plan that's bad on them, which is not surprising when it comes to factual MicroCell information.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

2 months ago

@OttoPylot   It’s funny how At&t employees knew so little about m-cell when they did sell it.  Now they’re promoting it when it’s not required and discontinued.  🤷🏼‍♀️   
They should be instructing on Wifi calling set up.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 months ago

@lizdance40 - there's a lot of things that AT&T could/should do with training their CSR's but we know how far that will go. I am so glad the only service I have with AT&T is our phones, which we have very little complaints.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Maybe I should have started this in a different way.

For years I had ATT cell service, BUT where I live there is almost NO signal,  ATT told me they would give me a Microcell.  They did, and my signal went from no signal to usually 4 bars. 

I live in the COUNTRY, LIKE around 7 miles from the nearest tower.  There is no such thing here as WiFi, as there   is no one around me.  I have a hard wired internet service running at 1 GB

I never had a problem  with the Microcell, always good signal.   Then needing to save money ( I am a DAV, living on Veterans benefits and SS) Sprint offered me a deal.  I tried it, almost no signal, so I went back to ATT, and they offered me the Prepaid deal, which I paid for UPFRONT 1 whole year.  With the understanding things would work as before, like the plan I had.

On a farm you NEED cell signal as you never know when you might need emergence help.  I NEED a strong signal here like I had before  when the MicroCell worked.  What options do I have to get a good strong signal? 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

2 months ago

@my8037983044 wrote:

Maybe I should have started this in a different way.

For years I had ATT cell service, BUT where I live there is almost NO signal,  ATT told me they would give me a Microcell.  They did, and my signal went from no signal to usually 4 bars. 

I live in the COUNTRY, LIKE around 7 miles from the nearest tower.  There is no such thing here as WiFi, as there   is no one around me.  I have a hard wired internet service running at 1 GB

I never had a problem  with the Microcell, always good signal.   Then needing to save money ( I am a DAV, living on Veterans benefits and SS) Sprint offered me a deal.  I tried it, almost no signal, so I went back to ATT, and they offered me the Prepaid deal, which I paid for UPFRONT 1 whole year.  With the understanding things would work as before, like the plan I had.

On a farm you NEED cell signal as you never know when you might need emergence help.  I NEED a strong signal here like I had before  when the MicroCell worked.  What options do I have to get a good strong signal? 

You have no good options, and none that won’t cost you more.  The microcell requires Internet connection.  It also requires postpaid, which you  no longer have.   It also won’t work in the very near future, so the microcell is NOT a solution and should be dismissed.  

You can use WiFi calling, if you use home internet with a WiFi router.  It does not cost anymore for service if you buy your own WiFi router than it does for wired only internet.  That would be your cheapest option if you have internet service.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.3K Messages

2 months ago

@my8037983044 - first of all, WiFi-C is dependent upon your in-home WiFi connection. It has nothing to do with the MicroCell or the proximity of the macrocell (cellular) tower. WiFi-C on the AT&T network does use two of the same four ports that the MicroCell uses so if there are issues with those ports (unlikely but a possibility) you will have WiFi-C connectivity issues. If you didn't have any issues with the MicroCell using the same router as you have now, then you shouldn't have any issues with WiFi-C in-home.

Once you changed your account from a postpaid to a prepaid plan, the system probably took awhile but once it was detected that the phone number you used to activate/register the MicroCell was now on a prepaid plan, your connectivity was compromised.

There is nothing you can do with the prepaid plan and the MicroCell. Either you go back to a postpaid plan and hope that the system doesn't get confused or you go with WiFi-C. It sounds like you are too far for a cellular booster to work if you can't get any signal at all because they need at least one to two bars of solid signal to lock on to and then augment.

Verizon used to offer their own version of a Microcell but it was not as secure as the MicroCell and I don't know if it's still available but you might want to check with them if you're considering trying another provider.

It sounds like you certainly have enough bandwidth for the MicroCell but line quality also plays a major part of a reliable connection. Your internet can be solid but if there is excessive jitter, etc on your line, then MicroCell connectivity will not be good. Line quality is explained in my Tech Guide.