What is happening with 3G?
kann's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 10:14 PM

Closed

Microcell issues

I am on my third Microcell...  ANY suggestions to make this thing work would be great !!  It loses its 3g connection everyday... has to be rebooted... has to sit in a window in order to find its GPS signal,  I am on the fastest internet speed, and been to internet service provider twice to check any problems with internet and there are NONE... Tech's have sent "updates" to my microcell, according to reps on phone, and it will work 4 even up to 5 days at one time with NO issues, then will lose it and here we go again.  Everytime AT&T tells me its a faulty box if it wont "keep" the updates... Three microcells later all with same issue.. not buying it... HELP  we have NO service in our home... Either let us out of contract, or fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hi

Yes, the phone works fine away from my home and sounds like you know a lot more about it then some of the people I talk to at AT&T.  But realistically no one has been able to figure it out, and as I said, it's a fairly new problem.  I did send and email to AT&T threw this forum, asking them to read the post and contact me.  I'm not giving up quite yet.

But since you know so much about the Microcell, why do they ask you to put it close to a window, if it's internet run?  Also, yes, everything is connected correctlly, just double check, and AT&T was over on Tuesday, installing a new modem and looked over the connections

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The MicroCell needs a constant GPS connection to verify location for 9-1-1, etc. No GPS lock, no service (or inconsistent at best). If you can't locate it next to a window (within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky), then there are external GPS antennas that you can buy and connect to the little antenna input on the back of the MicroCell. All of this is covered in the Guide (see link in my sig).

Don't ask CustomerCare to read your posts because they probably can't. Just detail your problems, what you have done to fix it, account information, and location.

If you give us more detailed information on how you have it setup, who your ISP is, etc, we may be able to advise you better.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

OK, thanks, I'll get back to tomorrow, got to get some work done Thanks

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

My ISP is AT&T UVerse and the Microcell is right now sitting less then 3 feet from a large 4 door glass slider, so should have a good GPS connection.  Use to sit about 8 feet from the same door, with no problems on GPS connection.

I was on the phone till after 11PM last night, with what felt like was a very knowledgable AT&T Microcell Tech.  She seemed much more in-depth then others I've spoken to in the past.  We are now trying a new Microcell, I feel that one of their updates may have corrupted the Microcell, she claims their hasn't been any in months, I question that.  Heard the same thing from uVerse, but when a maintenance person came to my home, he just replaced the modem and said that their latest update was not being well received by some of the older modems.  So I'd say that one hand normally doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

I'll let you know if the new Microcell corrects the problem.  Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

What kind of U-verse service do you have? This is something that I'm going to be updating the Guide with soon but it appears that certain gateways work better with VOIP (MicroCell) and the type of gateway you have is dependent on the type of U-verse service you have.

Updates to the MicroCell hasn't happened since the Note 3's were introduced because there was an issue with the new Samsung/Google phones. You could try a hard reset which resets the unit back to default and then let it go thru the Initial Activation process.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hi and Merry Christmas,

Back again, and I think I'm giving up, and yes again.  We've replaced the Phone, several times, and we've replaced the Microcell.  I've also had AT&T internet service hear, and we've replaced the modem, and they also hard wired the line directly to the plug I'm using, so I can't just plug into another outlet, and for a couple of days I thought I had OK service, "maybe wishful thinking," not prefect, would go out if I was on the phone for more then a few minutes.  

But then again it went back to the way it was, just working in the day time.  I really don't know what they've changed and I don't think they do either.  AT&T biggest problem is the left hand has no idea what the right is doing, very much like our Government.  They've both gothen way to big.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Ok, if I remember your problem correctly, the MicroCell would work ok during the day. But between the hours of 1am and 7am, it would disconnect and you'd have to go thru the reboot process in the morning to get it working again, and you live in a condo that offers U-verse, correct?

My feeling is that loss of connectivity in the early morning hours is due to some sort of maintenance that U-verse does at night when usage is at a minimum. There are also certain modems (gateways) that work better with the MicroCell than others depending on the type of U-verse service you have. And you are correct in that the U-verse people don't communicate well with the MicroCell people and vice versa. A problem that AT&T is well aware of but the fixes are extremely slow in coming.

If you don't know the type of U-verse service you have, then what is the model of the gateway you have? That may give us an idea of the type of service and possibly lean towards a fix.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have had every issue imaginable including all the ones that I have read in this forum The worst part is the very poor support from att. I have worked with every department from the Chairman's office down. Nobody follows up and some of the support people are as rude as they are incompetent.
perhaps the solution is to form a national buying group where we can leverage our individual frustration to get better products and service and price..

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Maybe if you told us what your problem is we might be able to help. Start here:

MicroCell™ TroubleShooting Questions:

1. Do you have an active postpaid AT&T mobile account?
  2. Do you have a combined modem/router or a separate modem and router? What are the model numbers?
  3. Have you met the minimum requirements for router configuration as outlined in the Tech Guide?
  4. What are your download and upload speeds?
  5. What kind of internet service do you have (ADSL, cable, WiFi)?
  6. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)?
  7. What other equipment (computers, WiFi TV’s, Xboxes, Playstations, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
  8. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
  9. Does the ac adapter feel warmer than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are?
  10. Are all of the cables firmly in place?
  11. Have you checked your line speed, http://www.speedtest.net/ ? If so, please post results.
  12. Have you checked to see if you line is adequate for VoIP, http://www.voipqualitytest.com/ ? If so, please post your results.
  13. Have you checked the Technical Guide?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Must be a full moon coming up.......

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.