For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
A

• 

11 Messages

Friday, May 28th, 2021 11:17 PM

Microcell Deregistered. Why can’t I reregister it?

My Mcell deactivated. Historically we’ve just reregistered the serial number and basically did the whole activation process again. This time when I went to reregister the SN it gives me an error telling me we need to get new SIM cards for our cellphones. We bought these brand new iphone 12s only months ago. We’ve had the Mcell for many years and when we got our new phones didn’t have to do anything in regards to the Mcell. What gives? Thanks in advance. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

I'm sure our Microcell expert will have some more information for you but essentially At&t is no longer going to support a 3-g device, and the MicroCell is only a 3-g device. The replacement for the MicroCell is Wi-Fi calling which your iPhone 12 are capable of.

Have you turned on and set up Wi-Fi calling?

(edited)

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Yes. Got the Mcell because wi-fi doesn’t work well with our phones within our home. Was told it’s the radiant barrier in our walls. No one can use their cell phones in our house. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Wifi calling should work if the microcell did

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Well, it doesn’t. ATT’s solution was the Mcell. Which works great. The issue is us not being able to register the Mcell anymore for some reason. 

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

We get one bar of service in our house. The Mcell connects to our wireless router and gives us all 4 bars. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

The Radiant Barrier has absolutely nothing to do with whether Wi-Fi calling does or does not work.   Your Radiant Barrier absolutely would prevent or obstruct cellular usage. Since you are having a problem, it's unlikely you have turn Wi-Fi calling on. Wi-Fi calling is not the same as the Wi-Fi you use for your data connection while inside your home. 

Wi-Fi calling is not on by default, you have to turn it on.

Instructions;  https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1361282/Apple/A2341

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

It’s on. Settings-Cellular-Wi-fi Calling-On. 

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

If my phone has no service it doesn’t matter what is on or off, right? No service=nothing works. Or am I missing something?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Must be. 

Again if the MicroCell works, then so does Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling uses your home internet just like the MicroCell did. The only difference is you no longer need the MicroCell the iPhone connects on its own.   

Reset network settings.  Sign in to wifi again.

Unless your phone is defective, and I assume you have more than one phone you can test this on, your phone should connect to your home Wi-Fi for call and text. 

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

I will try resetting network settings and signing into wifi again. Again. I’ll have my husband do the same when he gets home. It’s never worked. Thus ATT suggesting, and subsequently selling us the Mcell to allow for a good signal. If that doesn’t work can someone please address my original question regarding the SIM card issue? Thanks. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.