For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
U

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, April 9th, 2020 5:07 PM

Microcell - Change primary number help.

I have been using a microcell with my iPhone (because of a very poor signal at home), and want to switch to using AT&T wifi calling instead. But, I want to keep the microcell active for friends/visitors to access. My phone is the primary number on the microcell. How do I change that? Do I have to delete the microcell and start over? I can change/remove any other numbers, but not the primary. Thanks for your help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

The serial number of the MicroCell is tied to the account holder's phone number, which is the primary phone number. You can not change it without deactivating the MicroCell (removing it from the account holder) and reactivating it with another AT&T post paid account. The Approved Users list can be added to and deleted by the primary account holder and any AT&T phone number, prepaid and postpaid can be added to the list.

If you want to continue to use the MicroCell and WiFi-C at the same time you will need to place your phone, the primary number, in Airplane Mode to deactivate the phone's cellular radio so that the phone can only connect to your WiFi network. There is no way to have the phone preferntially choose the MicroCell or WiFi-C. Quite often the phone will get "confused" to which signal is strongest and attempt to connect to the predominant signal, or stay connected to, which results in diminshed call quality.

The MicroCell service itself will be discontinued once AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network which will probably be around Feb. 2021 or sooner so you need to plan ahead. There will be no option offered for poor in-home coverage other than WiFi-C, so other than upgarding the phones to WiFi-C, you can either purchase and install a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line) or switch to a carrier that offers better coverage.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.